Which artist(s) no longer with us has affected you when they passed?

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
There are two artists for me that have affected me.

The first one is Danny Gatton. I first heard of him in 1988 when a friend of mine loaned me his cassette (yes you read it correctly) of Unfinished Business. The music and his playing just blew me away. I searched for my own copy and was lucky enough to find the CD. Soon after it was the search for his other cataloged recordings. I got to meet at my very first NAMM show in the early 90's - I was floored. and hearing of his signing with Elektra for 7 records, his career was looking up. Sadly his death in 1994 hit me really hard. So hard that I stopped playing guitar for almost a year. This was when the music died for me.

The other was Kevin Gilbert. In the late 80's I heard the band Giraffe and seeked out the CD's but could never find them. In the early 90's with the help of the Mark and Brian show I learned of the band called Toy Matinee that was Gilbert's project. After the bands demise, his association with M&B I heard the most awesome version of Zep's Kashmir - I was completely blown away.

Well with the internet in full gear, Kevin Gilbert estate started to release his music that you could no longer get. There my search was over and I found the Giraffe CD's along with Thud and Kevin's solo material. Sadly Gilbert passed in 1996 - what a loss.

This is kind of an oddball answer but I've always been disappointed that Jim Croce didn't have a longer career. I would have been really interested to hear his evolution as a songwriter.

Ones that have personally affected me are SRV and Michael Hedges because I'd seen them perform within a few months of their deaths.

"i don't remember if i cried when i read about his widowed bride......."
well i prolly wouldn't have remembered, i was like 3. Buddy Holly

one of the ones that hit me when they passed, was SRV. he was still young, and had just got clean and sober and it was just so sudden. it's not like he was sick or old.

"i don't remember if i cried when i read about his widowed bride......."
well i prolly wouldn't have remembered, i was like 3.
It was a long, long time ago, but I can still remember how that music used to make me smile.

They haven't been gone long at all, but Charlie Haden and Paul Motian. Lorraine Hunt Lieberson, too. And Jaki Byard. And Mstislav Rostropovich.

I'm not usually emotional about this kind of stuff, but I teared up earlier this year when Ornette Coleman died.

Before that... Ray Charles and James Brown.

SRV. Someone gave me his newest cd about a month before he died and I was really getting into his music and was going to try and see him and Jeff Beck in concert. Truly saddened me. The other was Dime. That knocked the wind out of me.

Certainly John Lennon. Of course, the way he died increased the effect, but he was a big influence on my early musical development and it was hard to believe he was gone so young. It still affects me at times. The other was Pete Seeger. At 94, his death was to be expected, but his spirit just seemed unending. When he died, it left a hole that no one is there to fill.

Randy Rhoads

I had just seen him with Ozzy a couple of weeks earlier.

Gary Moore, too. A bunch of my facebook/high school friend all got together for dinner the evening he passed away. The talk got around to music, concerts, and there were a bunch of us, gals included that remembered seeing Krokus & Gary Moore at the local arena back in '83 and how Gary blew the doors off the place, peoples jaws were hanging open, not many knew who he was. But they did after that concert :) Anyways, we get up the next morning, only to find out he had died that night, maybe even as we were talking about him :(

Reactions: Tig
Jerry Garcia. My wife was in labor with our oldest son when we heard the news.

Warren Zevon.

Stevie

BB. We all knew it was coming, but the circumstances......

Rick Wright.

Guitar wise for me it was Marius Müller (legendary Norwegian guitarist).
For me he always had that perfect balance of rawk, chops and melodic sense. Went way too early at 41 in a car accident. :(

Back