Where would you take people to get a taste of your town?

Actually, if I wanted to give them a taste of the local flavor,

If I'm south of 101:

Gooyi-Gooyi-Santa-Clara-Exterior-Decor.jpg

North of 101:

24d3af5d1f4fc87f65eaa48b25ef27bf_featured_v2.jpg

http://www.flubsicecream.com

It's the best fucking soft serve I've ever had. Ashlee and I always joke that it's the only reason I moved to Hamilton from Loveland, and when @jaxn slim came to take engagement photos we almost took some there. :embarrassed:

Their signature items is a "Cyclone" which is basically a DQ Blizzard with better ice cream, more topping selections, homemade whipped cream, and they mix the chocolate dip-top mixture directly inside your cup, so you have those cool chocolate crunchy swirls mixed in for great texture. They also do great sherbet, ice cream pies, and seasonal specials, like apple or cherry pie parfaits and my favourite, pumpkin ice cream and shakes.

It seems like most towns have some sort of "Whippy-dip" to go to, but this is the only one I've been to that has a line from open to close. Still family owned and operated, and they expanded to another location last year. Their Hamilton store is right next to the original Flubs, which was about the size of a mall photo booth.

Tough one.
From an historical perspective, The Mansion House is the oldest licensed tavern in Canada.
They do have a lot of live music there. From a culinary perspective, it's a bar with a boring menu.

My first thought though was The Port Mansion, overlooking Lakeside Park (yes that one) in Port Dalhousie. However, it's been torn down to make way for stalled development projects.

So, I'd probably go with The Valley Restaurant in the north end of the city. It's been in operation since 1953. It's in the middle of a residential area and very much unknown, but good food and nice atmosphere.

well in Tucson it would have to be mesican food and there's countless places to go but to Take an out of towner I'd feel the need to go to one of the long established ones, not a trendy ones, or fusion ones of exotic ones or hole in the wall in a sketchy neighborhood BVIUT Tucson institutions.....so either Casa Molina or Michas

I hope this helps.

*spits*

There's gourmet burger places that all pretty much do the same thing on every other corner in town just now :facepalm:

If you're talking actual proper Scottish cuisine probably somewhere like this up the West End: http://www.stravaigin.co.uk

If you wanted something that did good food that approximated what's going on in the city, restaurant wise now it would be a place called bar bloc - no menu on their site just now (I think they're changing it up) but they do "street food" i.e. good burgers, hot dogs, pizzas, wings etc.. without you having to sit in a place that's pretending to be a 1950s american diner.

Tough one.
From an historical perspective, The Mansion House is the oldest licensed tavern in Canada.
They do have a lot of live music there. From a culinary perspective, it's a bar with a boring menu.

My first thought though was The Port Mansion, overlooking Lakeside Park (yes that one) in Port Dalhousie. However, it's been torn down to make way for stalled development projects.

So, I'd probably go with The Valley Restaurant in the north end of the city. It's been in operation since 1953. It's in the middle of a residential area and very much unknown, but good food and nice atmosphere.
And now, the Valley Restaurant is up for sale.

From the perspective of the region, there are a lot of restaurants that do the farm to table style of cuisine very well.
If you want fancy, go to Windows by Jamie Kennedy in Niagara Falls. I'm biased because he's my sister's ex-husband, but we still claim him as our brother-in-law.
However, he's also pretty much responsible for the whole farm to table concept in Ontario (if not on a broader scope).

As far as a culinary experience is concerned, but without a huge price, I'd probably suggest an all day tour of the wineries, craft breweries, and distilleries.
There are tour companies that do it, but it's better to have a local organize something (and a designated driver).
One of the distilleries does a brunch on Sundays in the summertime.
Two of the breweries do lunch and sometimes dinner events.
Most of the time these are done by guest chefs from local food trucks - but gourmet chefs - and they tend to stretch out the menu a bit from the food truck fare because they have a commercial kitchen to work in.
Then, almost all of the wineries have restaurants. They can range from an outdoor bar with a wood-burning pizza oven to wear-a-jacket-you-filthy-heathen fine dining and everything in between.

My neighborhood? either the frou-frou brunch place with hour-long waits on the corner or the burger bar with drag shows down the street.

As long as they don't mind waiting in line before it opens, Killen's Barbecue.
Killens-Barbecue-Line_114637.jpg

IMG_5407.jpg

I don't care how good a place is reported to be, I am in no way in hell standing in a line like that for food when there's countless other places. I don't feel the need to be that much in the group experience.

here in grand rapids, there is a place that reportedly invented the wet burrito. Their hard taco shells are scalloped so that even when they break, they still hold everything together. But their taco meat tastes like pot roast.
There's a well regarded Lebanese deli called Marie Catribs that's consistently good, with a lot of vegan, gluten free, and whatever the current trend is. That's where we take family or friends that are visiting from the coasts.

For Ketchum, probably this place. http://sawtoothclub.com/
Not the fanciest, not the best wine list. But good, solid, mountain food.

For Hailey, a fancier option, with a better wine list. Seems funny that the working class town down stream has the fancier place I would choose, but so it is.

http://ckrealfood.com/index2.php?v=v1#!/HOME

Sun Valley itself does not count as a town in this regard. It has the resort, and a couple nice resort restaurants, but it is not really the town.

Back