Where-in jelloman re-evaluates his guitar collection...MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

It is interesting when forumites work on thinning the heard. Mainly because they like one sound versus another rather than looking at what one guitar can do for them. In the old days I looked for basically one sound and that was with humbuckers. As I started to really listen to my instrument and my influences, I started to hear different colors and how I wanted those colors to be part of the pallete and plethora of available tones. With that said, the selection process of instruments became really detailed.

This also goes with amps and effects too. My need for multiple boards and amps gives me the tools to offer different colors and styles of my playing. Too many times I would want a jazz sound or country twang yet my rock rig could not reproduce. Sure I can only play one guitar at a time but variety of colors is what makes it all fun and the type of gigs I am able to accept.

It is interesting when forumites work on thinning the heard. Mainly because they like one sound versus another rather than looking at what one guitar can do for them. In the old days I looked for basically one sound and that was with humbuckers. As I started to really listen to my instrument and my influences, I started to hear different colors and how I wanted those colors to be part of the pallete and plethora of available tones. With that said, the selection process of instruments became really detailed.

This also goes with amps and effects too. My need for multiple boards and amps gives me the tools to offer different colors and styles of my playing. Too many times I would want a jazz sound or country twang yet my rock rig could not reproduce. Sure I can only play one guitar at a time but variety of colors is what makes it all fun and the type of gigs I am able to accept.

How can you say you have a plethora when you do not know the meaning of the word plethora?

The thing is, Randy, were I a gigging player with your talent I could put that pallette to good use...I'm just facing the harsh reality that's staring me in the face...no matter how many guitars I accumulate, no matter how many sound combinations I have at my disposal, none of it will make me a better player...and having guitars that just sit in their cases is just a waste...

The thing is, Randy, were I a gigging player with your talent I could put that pallette to good use...I'm just facing the harsh reality that's staring me in the face...no matter how many guitars I accumulate, no matter how many sound combinations I have at my disposal, none of it will make me a better player...and having guitars that just sit in their cases is just a waste...

Sadly that is a yes or no answer depending on the player whether gigging or a bedroom guitar player. I personally have found that when I play a different instrument, I have a change of mine in how I approach things and what I play. As for you David, you may not need as many guitars to get things done at this time so purging works. What may happen as many have found, they wish they had that one specific sound again and then go through the internal debate of why did I get rid it or should I buy another one - mystixboi is the best example of this. Meanwhile some are content on just making what they have work and that is okay too.

As for the better player, that just comes with time, practice and a desire to improve. The statement "desire to improve" is broad and you made a big leap by attending Pragestock and not because of the gear. Pragestock is just a great place to share and play with no real objective other than have fun. I know that it was for me when I went. Gigging player sadly are restricted to what are we playing, how much, where and when. We don't just jam for the sake of jamming. Hence me attending blues jams have helped along with when MWGL has a jam or cross country at Prages and Mrs.P's - the best hosts ever!!!

Sadly that is a yes or no answer depending on the player whether gigging or a bedroom guitar player. I personally have found that when I play a different instrument, I have a change of mine in how I approach things and what I play. As for you David, you may not need as many guitars to get things done at this time so purging works. What may happen as many have found, they wish they had that one specific sound again and then go through the internal debate of why did I get rid it or should I buy another one - mystixboi is the best example of this. Meanwhile some are content on just making what they have work and that is okay too.

As for the better player, that just comes with time, practice and a desire to improve. The statement "desire to improve" is broad and you made a big leap by attending Pragestock and not because of the gear. Pragestock is just a great place to share and play with no real objective other than have fun. I know that it was for me when I went. Gigging player sadly are restricted to what are we playing, how much, where and when. We don't just jam for the sake of jamming. Hence me attending blues jams have helped along with when MWGL has a jam or cross country at Prages and Mrs.P's - the best hosts ever!!!
This whole thing is being motivated more by feel than sound...one thing I learned about myself at Pragestock is that I really am affected by the different scale lengths...

But Pragestock did help me rediscover the joy of just playing, and I will be forever grateful to it for that...

How can you say you have a plethora when you do not know the meaning of the word plethora?
492-19453.jpg

This whole thing is being motivated more by feel than sound...

Interesting because it is sound more for me. The choice of how I can manipulate the sound then becomes the feel for me.

one thing I learned about myself at Pragestock is that I really am affected by the different scale lengths......

Cool!

I not one so much into scale lengths but more playability and tones. Probably has a lot to do with me playing standard type of instruments ie: Strat, Tele, LP.

But Pragestock did help me rediscover the joy of just playing, and I will be forever grateful to it for that...

That is what it is all about. No commentments other than making you way out there and being a good human. Every forumite that I met at the 2 Pragestock that I have attended have been great people and that includes the MWGL get togethers that I have attended as well.

Sell them all and buy a tuba. Because, y'know, guitar is on the way out. Hm. Okay maybe not. Seriously now.

Here's the deal - I downsized too but I may have gone down too far. I'm with you, that Washburn Les Paul type guitar you'll never see another one if you sell it and it won't be the same if you did find another of the same type.

The other guitars you could probably get again in a different configuration or color or style but those are all pretty duplicatable.

I'm at the "just right but could use one more - maybe a 6-string bass again". But currently I have: 22 fret set-neck guitar with active pickups and splittable coils and trem, 22 fret bolt on guitar with passive medium output pickups and splittable coils with trem, 24 fret shred machine with neckthru and duncan 59 and JB pickups and trem and one Washburn acoustic dreadnaught.

They're all different woods so they have uniquely different tonalities but I stagger the use so they all wear evenly. It seems like any more than 4 or 5 guitars seems like too much.

I also toy with the idea of selling everything for 1 or 2 really good guitars but I'd probably panic doing that.

Jello, what made the SG such a POS? I've been looking at the 400 for a while now
Jerry, it's just cheap...the neck has an uncomfortable profile, the pickups are anemic, it's very neck heavy, the action is high and stiff at best...compared to my other pieces it's damn near unplayable FOR ME...YMMV...
I also toy with the idea of selling everything for 1 or 2 really good guitars but I'd probably panic doing that.
That was exactly the thought that set this off, scared the hell out of me...

My initial idea was to dump all of them except the Washburn and build a Warmoth to my exact wants...1500.00 price tag brought me back to earth...

Jerry, it's just cheap...the neck has an uncomfortable profile, the pickups are anemic, it's very neck heavy, the action is high and stiff at best...compared to my other pieces it's damn near unplayable FOR ME...YMMV...

That was exactly the thought that set this off, scared the hell out of me...

My initial idea was to dump all of them except the Washburn and build a Warmoth to my exact wants...1500.00 price tag brought me back to earth...

Dump everything but the Washburn and put it towards a McFeely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

***UPDATE!***

Well, here I am, a month later...

I listed 4 guitars on the SPAM board and sold the neck off the tele to PK...I listed the 3 Epis and a TECH21 trademark30 on Reverb and sold the 2004 Les Paul Classic goldtop today, shipping it out tomorrow...I dropped the price on the Sheraton2 50.00 to see if I get any traffic on it, and I have some queries here and on Reverb about the SG...and I got a low ball offer on the amp I dismissed out of hand...

I have a 24 2/4" conversion strat neck on order from Warmoth which I'm expecting in January for the MightyMite strat...

My determination to make this stick has not waivered...but I have decided to invest the money I make on these sales into a mid-powered amp to supplement my Ibanez TSA15H...and maybe some pedals...

One of these days I'm going to go through my parts boxes and throw a bunch of stuff on the SPAM board as well...

I wonder if I can chalk all of this up to my impending 50th birthday...

Before you buy an amp, hang out for a while and let it all digest. The Ibby is plenty loud enough and sounds good so I'm not sure what a mid powered amp would do that the Ibby doesn't.

Before you buy an amp, hang out for a while and let it all digest. The Ibby is plenty loud enough and sounds good so I'm not sure what a mid powered amp would do that the Ibby doesn't.

I was surprised how well it kept up with the other amps at Pragestock. I thought it would get drowned out by the others, but it really held its own.

I was surprised how well it kept up with the other amps at Pragestock. I thought it would get drowned out by the others, but it really held its own.
The reason it kept up was that I had every boost turned up full...that was hitting the front of the amp REALLY hard...I didn't honestly think it would survive the weekend as hard as I was pushing it...

If I were to add an amp it would be either the 30 watt version of the Ibanez, a Modkits101 60 watt non-master volume kit amp, or (if I get enough money) a quilter...

The reason it kept up was that I had every boost turned up full...that was hitting the front of the amp REALLY hard...I didn't honestly think it would survive the weekend as hard as I was pushing it...

If I were to add an amp it would be either the 30 watt version of the Ibanez, a Modkits101 60 watt non-master volume kit amp, or (if I get enough money) a quilter...

Didn't the one guy play through your amp with his board? The guy from TX doing all the swells?
If it was because of the boosts turned up, that amp stays pretty clean. If I hit my amp with a bunch of boosts, it would be too crunchy.

Back