Where-in jelloman re-evaluates his guitar collection...MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

jelloman

Couch'd Tater...
Once again, something I can blame on Pragestock...

I brought 2 guitars to Pragestock, my MightyMite parts strat and my G&L Tribute Ascari GTS...the strat has an American Standard style neck and 25.5" scale, the G&L has a Slim-taper type neck and 24.75 scale...I started out playing the strat, but quickly changed over to the G&L and pretty much played that for the rest of the weekend...

Since then, in addition to building a new pedalboard, I have played through my entire collection with a more critical eye aimed at figuring out EXACTLY what I'm looking for, and what makes a guitar playable for me...

First up...G&L Tribute Ascari GTS, red...

24.75", slim taper set neck, dual humbucker with pull pot coil switch...rapidly becoming my go-to instrument...contoured body makes it comfortable to play sitting and standing, great upper fret access, stock pickups sound very good...
VERDICT: keeper

1989 Washburn WP-50...

24.75", slim taper set neck, rewired with Gibson '57s...not as comfortable without a body contour, but still plays and sounds like heaven...
VERDICT: You'll have to kill me to get it...

MightyMite Strat...

25.5"scale, American standard neck carve, bolted on, SD JB pickup...sounds really good, but the neck is a bit to substantial, and the scale length feels too long for a "rock" guitar...
VERDICT: getting a warmoth conversion neck to shorten the scale in a thinner carve...NEW NECK ON ORDER!

2006 fender MiM Standard Strat...

Verdict: gotta have a strat...

2004 Epiphone Les Paul Classic...

24.34", slim taper set neck, GFS Mean90s...this is where I start running into problems...it's a great player, but I'm neutral on the P90 style pickups...to put humbuckers in it would make it redundant, unless I can find a set that makes this guitar different enough from the others to set it apart...
VERDICT: SOLD!

2007 Epiphone Sheraton II...

24.34" '59 style set neck, stock electronics...I really WANT to love this one...it sounds really good with the stock pickups, but it's really uncomfortable to play standing up...arched top and back, combined with my belly, make me have to reach out pretty far to play it, unless I wear it like a guinecklace...and it's really heavy...

Parts-tele...

I hate teles...
VERDICT: PARTED OUT!

Epi SG400...

Not mine...total POS...

Last edited:
I agree with all but one. Yes, it happens to be the strat. But your decision to keep it seems to be "just because" instead of any real desire or need. Considering the others, it seems expendable to me.

I agree with all but one. Yes, it happens to be the strat. But your decision to keep it seems to be "just because" instead of any real desire or need. Considering the others, it seems expendable to me.
Yes and no...as far as a strat goes, I, unlike you, enjoy all 5 switch positions, and I really like the clean single coil sound...the neck on this one is narrower and thinner than the American standard carve, and is quite playable for me...plus, in all honesty, if I didn't have a strat, I'd want one...

Yes and no...as far as a strat goes, I, unlike you, enjoy all 5 switch positions, and I really like the clean single coil sound...the neck on this one is narrower and thinner than the American standard carve, and is quite playable for me...plus, in all honesty, if I didn't have a strat, I'd want one...

Forget my own bias for a moment. How much do you actually play it?

Looks like you've got a lot of fat to trim to me. If guitars were trading cards, then it makes sense to get one of each, but it's silly to aim for a "complete" guitar collection.

Looks like you've got a lot of fat to trim to me. If guitars were trading cards, then it makes sense to get one of each, but it's silly to aim for a "complete" guitar collection.
"fat to trim"...lmbo
...you obviously have never seen a photo of me...:grin:

I blame it on "Guitar Forum GAS syndrome"...now it looks more like a waste of time and money...

The worst part is I have been playing for almost 35 years and during most of that time I only had one electric and one acoustic...around 1990 I added a second electric (strat and les paul)...it's only been within the last 10 years I've accumulated this many...

Just call me Captain Silly then, because I need my whole rookie team. :embarrassed:

I had to look that up, but then remembered when I saw what it was. Glad you still like it.
The ONLY issue I have with it is volume...it‘s not really powerful enough for a full blown jam...I had to run every boost full out at Pragestock, and it's not gonna last very long doing that...I'm probably going to add rhe 30 watt version before the next Pragestock...and perhaps a 2x12 cabinet...

5884-812.gif

Terminate the Epiphones
TERMINATE%252B01.jpg

With extreme prejudice
apocalypse%2Bnow%2B2.jpg

Nothing intelligent to add. Just wanted to mention, I clicked on this hoping to see THE pic of your Washburn. Wasn't disappointed.

jelloman, I have been considering doing a more thoughtful evaluation of my own "collection." You have inspired me to set it as an agenda item.

Back