Where do we rate LWTUA in the heirachy of music ?

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
because we all know music is a competitive endeavor :embarrassed: cop0

anyway in all seriousness...I rate the fucker up there in the to 10 of all songs anytime any era and any genre...I really think it's that good, everything about it is a masterpiece and genius...
what say you ?

*and BTW FYI* teh drumming is absolutely phenomenal...

Pretty highly, although I always thought the Peel Session version was much better-

I have never, until just now listened to a Joy Division song. And God willing, I will never be subjected to that again.
Just terrible.

It's phenomenal.

Hannett's production is to their catalog what Martin was to the Beatles - necessary and a part of the whole, but distanced enough that it wasn't and "extra member" type of thing. In fact, the band found working with him tough (I spent a couple months in 1986 hanging around some of the members of New Order).

The openness of the sound is really remarkable, and at the time nothing else sounded like that/them.

Factory's approach to catalog was weird to say the least, but I always toy with adding LWTUA to "Closer" and seeing how it sounds. Usually as an album lead, as was the wont back then with 'hit singles,' but it also works well right after "Decades."

I have never, until just now listened to a Joy Division song. And God willing, I will never be subjected to that again.
Just terrible.
perhaps you would prefer New Order...it's basically JD minus Ian in a more upbeat and dance oriented sound...personally I prefer NO moar but both are great and gol damn if that firt JD album isn't a dandy of an album.

I wouldn't rate Joy Division very highly, to be honest.

They could hardly play their instruments. I remember hearing that the guitar player didn't even tune his guitar before going on stage......(this was discussed because a band I was in in the 80's did a couple of JD/NO songs. Our singer said "Just wing it.")

Very, very little talent there, I'm afraid.

perhaps you would prefer New Order...it's basically JD minus Ian in a more upbeat and dance oriented sound...personally I prefer NO moar but both are great and gol damn if that firt JD album isn't a dandy of an album.

This whole style of music really isn't my thing TBH.

Lubs me some JD, that song has worn on me though.

It's true that they were less than stellar musicians, but never has been a qualifier has it? The remaining members in the form of New Order eventually became quite skilled, and Hook is a MONSTER bass player. Dude wrote some of the catchiest bass lines in history.

Temptation is a good tune.

We used to play that one. Lots of leeway to get baked off your tits and "wing it", which really was our MO back in the day. The chicks dug that one, too.

If I recall correctly, the whole song is 3 or 4 chords (C-F-G, maybe a B in there at some point, I forget), but the sloppier you played it, the better it sounded. :wink:
It was one of our favorites because you could be fucking WRECKED and pull it off and probably still get a BJ at the end of the night from some girl in the audience. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: OGG
See that, @OGG , I could be an honorary member of the "Obscure '80's"!
:lol:

Maybe next time I get out that way, I'll look you up and we can jam!

You bring the train set and I'll bring the imitation crabmeat!

JK.

Reactions: OGG
"No talent."

Actually, that would be people who 'can play guitar really well' ... and have absolutely not a single interesting thought to express via their music. Love these threads.

You don't have to be a great player to write a great song.

I've loved both bands since I was a kid (NO first though). LWTUA is excellent, even if it is fawned over way too much.

Back