When's the last time you had to change a flat tire?

On a car, about 3-4 months ago. I decided to drive to the gym rather than ride because it was suppose to rain (it didn't). I ran over something on the way and when I went out to my car I had a flat. The hole was so big it was not repairable (at least that's what the tire store told me) so my efforts to stay dry cost me $90 :mad:

On a bike it's been about 6 months for the older bike and I haven't had a flat (Knock on wood) on the new bike since Dec of 2014... I love my Continental GP4000s tires!

Damn. On my mountain bike, I probably end up with a flat about every 4th or 5th time I ride it.

It's been about 20 years for me. I did have a flat a few years ago, but I couldn't change the tire because the spare donut wouldn't fit over the larger brakes I had installed on my Camaro. Fortunately I had have roadside coverage on my insurance so I got a free tow to the nearest Discount Tire. The tire couldn't be fixed due to the location of the hole (screw in the corner of the tire), but I had the protection plan so they prorated the tire and it only cost me about $60 for a new tire.

My current car doesn't even have a spare, so if I get a flat I have to tow it.

African or European?

12+ year on an auto.

4 weeks ago on my road bike (the rear Continental Grand Prix 4000S II had a wire stuck deep into it), but 2+ years before that.
I haven't flatted a mountain bike tire in the last 15 years.

African or European?

12+ year on an auto.

4 weeks ago on my road bike (the rear Continental Grand Prix 4000S II had a wire stuck deep into it), but 2+ years before that.
I haven't flatted a mountain bike tire in the last 15 years.
s1200_image.jpg

Wouldn't that be cool :grin:

Reactions: Tig
A couple of years ago or so. I get a flat, I change it. I liked the full-sized spare in our Jetta from way back, but I throw on the donut as needed. Usually I'm fortunate in that I'm dealing with a leak and am in my driveway or a parking spot, but I've had to do a couple of roadside tire changes.

I know there was some sort of research done on dwindling skills, and changing a flat is something more and more people are viewing as a relatively unimportant skill.

I can't even remember, it's been decades.

I remember when steel-belted radial tires were a new thing, and they were prone to blowouts. We put a set on the family station wagon and had like a dozen of them replaced under warranty. o_O

I keep a plug kit in the car, it was in the truck before and the car before that. It's come in handy a few times, but the thought of plugging one of the F1 Goodyears on the ST isn't a pleasant one. I guess I would if it meant getting back on my way.

Been a while. I have swapped out snows myself, using a jack.

I once had to change a flat on I-5 on the express lanes on the bridge over montlake canal/lake union in seattle, with no real shoulder as it was on the bridge. Thankfully an officer stopped and helped create a space for me whilst I got it done.

Back