When's the last time you had to change a flat tire?

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Drove to Kalamazoo, and I saw three cars broke down along I-94 with flat tires.

Made me wonder when the last time I had to change a flat. Probably around 20 years ago when I owned my Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais with the Quad 4. I had just bought new tires the day before, and thank God I bought the road hazard replacement plan.

Anyways, the very next day after purchasing them I ran over a bolt with a hollow thread thru it, on my way to work. I had to put the spare donut on it in the parking lot at work, drove it to the tire store the next day and got a free new tire.

I don't think I've ever been along side the road having to change one though *knock on wood*

4 years ago for me. I was coming home from work at around 3 AM and caught a nail in the sidewall.
It was a quick 10 ordeal.

Not in about 12 years. I've taken the wheels off my truck to work on it but not to change a flat.

Maybe 10 years, though I have changed a tire when I found a nail in it, before it went flat.

About 6 months ago. I was on my way in to work, and a co-worker had a blowout in his car a few miles ahead of me. I pulled off and helped him out, he's a bit on the frail side.

That was a bit hairy, with 18-wheelers screaming by at 80mph.

Probably about 3 years ago for my car.

Time before that I actually waved some old lady over who was ahead of me on a country stretch of road (flashed my lights, beeped the horn, that kind of thing). She had a flat on the back and didn't even realize it.
I changed it for her and got her on her way.

Thanksgiving 1994. Seriously. I remember because it was the final event of the worst road trip of my life.
I was going home to be with the family, left 3 hours late because I overslept, almost hit a deer (we're talking butt puckering inches here), got 2 speeding tickets, and topped it off with a flat. And I had only been on the road for 3 of a 9 hour trip.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Hmmm....can't remember when I had to actually change a flat tire but about 7-8 years ago I had a series of about 3-4 nails that had to be removed/patched. It was one after the other. The tire(s) never actually went flat though.

Within the last few months, but it was a slow leak and i could do it in the safety of my own driveway. I don't think I've ever done it on the roadside.

About 15 months ago. Some asshat decided to slash one of my tires for no apparent logical reason.
306408e99d3fbaf3abd0efa84b94f7b3.jpg

2009. I was driving back from a work trip in Orlando. I'm not sure what exactly happened, other than my passenger rear tire somewhat suddenly failed. It wasn't very dramatic, really, and I managed to get the car pulled to the side and the spare put on. Luckily I was only about 20 miles from home, so I was able to make it home on the donut. The post mortem from the tire guy was that the tire had a large hole deep in the tread groove. He said it was huge and it looked like I ran over a piece of rebar or something of similar diameter. I ended up with some new tires.

Three years ago. My new vehicle doesn't even have a spare any longer. Instead of a spare they give you some fix a flat type stuff and a disposable air compressor.

My boss' new Shelby has the run-flats. I have no idea how far he could go on one once it's punctured. He came into my office last week, and asked if my Focus has a spare.. it does, and a full-sized one at that. His 70K Shelby has no spare, only an air pump, but it does have the run-flats. He didn't like that much.

6-7 years ago. Hit a monster pot hole with a lightweight low profile high performance tire. Bye bye sidewall.

My boss' new Shelby has the run-flats. I have no idea how far he could go on one once it's punctured. He came into my office last week, and asked if my Focus has a spare.. it does, and a full-sized one at that. His 70K Shelby has no spare, only an air pump, but it does have the run-flats. He didn't like that much.

Not to mention they're kinda sucky for sports/performance cars

On a car, about 3-4 months ago. I decided to drive to the gym rather than ride because it was suppose to rain (it didn't). I ran over something on the way and when I went out to my car I had a flat. The hole was so big it was not repairable (at least that's what the tire store told me) so my efforts to stay dry cost me $90 :mad:

On a bike it's been about 6 months for the older bike and I haven't had a flat (Knock on wood) on the new bike since Dec of 2014... I love my Continental GP4000s tires!

Reactions: Tig
Back