When the search for new music stops: A dying man's playlist

I wouldn't bother with new music , Why ? I'd want to relieve the wonderful moments associated with the music of my past. Music more than any other medium has the ability to be a time machine. So i'd listen to all those albums of the past, kinda a life rewind which I'd probably never get through anyway because there are so many . To add new ones would seem pointless and even a theft of my valuable time left.

I agree with DdBob on this one. The only new music I would pursue would be to write and record as much as possible while I could, but I would want old, familiar music to comfort me and to relieve pleasant memories.

http://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/when-search-for-new-music-stops-a-dying-mans-playlist/

Good article. Makes one think.

Myself, I'm always searching for new music. I don't think that would change, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm still searching for new music too. It doesn't have to be made recently, just be new to me. Over the past couple of years, I have discovered a ton of bands that were new to me and they have really changed my playing and thought process when writing.

I'm still searching for new music too. It doesn't have to be made recently, just be new to me. Over the past couple of years, I have discovered a ton of bands that were new to me and they have really changed my playing and thought process when writing.
That's pretty much where I'm at too, although I get the nostalgia part of listening to familiar old songs and the memories that come with them. I do a fair share of both. The Classic Rock genre has killed a lot of great tunes for me though. Even the good memories that go with those songs aren't enough to make me want to listen to them anymore (e.g. Stairway, Freebird and the like).

There is no wrong answer, just opinion and personal tastes.
I listen to newer bands in old genres. There is nothing that I hear on the radio that does anything for me. Does that mean it’s not good?
No just not good to me.
Andy thinks Kanye is a musical genius, I think he is a music nmarketing genius.
I listen to mostly to Doom. My wife finds it tedious and I totally understand that. But it’s what sounds pleasing to my ears. Just as different foods can be more pleasing to my taste buds.

I'm still open to new stuff. It's just that I seem to hate everything.

I am open to new stuff, but, if I knew I was going to die soon, you better believe I'd be clinging to the familiar. That was the premise of the thread.

I am open to new stuff, but, if I knew I was going to die soon, you better believe I'd be clinging to the familiar. That was the premise of the thread.
I agree with Gary on this point. I think most people except for me and Gary missed the premise of the thread...I'm always open to new music but if i got two months to live then phooey on that...absolutely no point, nothing to gain except lost time and realization that you won't get to hear those new songs much more.

I'm actively searching for new, at the moment, but if I was in his situation I think I would feel the same way...

My bigger issue would be who to give which guitar to...

I would like to think that if I had a couple of months to live, and somebody told me about this new prog metal band that was amazing and was right in my musical taste wheelhouse, that I would give at least a song or two a listen. To my mind as of right now, I might miss hearing a new 2112 or Images And Words or O:MC, etc.

But maybe my '3 months to live' mind would be ok with that? No one really knows until you are there...

I remember getting in a conversation with colleagues in my late 20s while working for Disney (corporate, not "land"), we were probably drunk, and my buddy says when he dies he would want U2's Where the Streets Have No Name played at his funeral. I thought that was funny, and a little pathetic.

I would probably spend more time with literature throughout the ages if I were dying, rather than playlists. The company of insightful and brilliant people who have already transitioned from this life might be comforting. I would also spend as much time as possible with family.

I remember getting in a conversation with colleagues in my late 20s while working for Disney (corporate, not "land"), we were probably drunk, and my buddy says when he dies he would want U2's Where the Streets Have No Name played at his funeral. I thought that was funny, and a little pathetic.

I would probably spend more time with literature throughout the ages if I were dying, rather than playlists. The company of insightful and brilliant people who have already transitioned from this life might be comforting. I would also spend as much time as possible with family.

Music is easier to digest than George Eliot when you’re exhausted and on a morphine drip.

I would like to think that if I had a couple of months to live, and somebody told me about this new prog metal band that was amazing and was right in my musical taste wheelhouse, that I would give at least a song or two a listen. To my mind as of right now, I might miss hearing a new 2112 or Images And Words or O:MC, etc.

But maybe my '3 months to live' mind would be ok with that? No one really knows until you are there...
That would be a bit different. If someone told me, check this out because I think you'd like it, I would. I just wouldn't be going out of my way to find stuff and have to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Back