When The Cork Tears

LeftyTom

I am not just another pretty face.
I opened a new bottle of Connemara Whiskey. It has the type of lid with cork attached, much like a wine cork. When I twisted the lid, it separated from the cork. I tried a corkscrew to remove the cork from the bottle neck, but the cork continued to crumble. I fished most of the cork out, and will use a strainer to catch wayward pieces of cork that fell down into the whiskey.

So is my issue the odd occurrence, or had the bottle been in the shop too long?

It just happens sometimes, even with young bottles. Shame that the synthetic cork fad never caught on industry wide.

SONOFABITCH!

It just happened to me, too.
I decided to have a shot of Talksker and the cork tore in half.

I managed to get it out of the neck without too many crumbs going into the bottle.
Then I used one of those vacuum wine stoppers that never get used because what the hell is leftover wine?

SONOFABITCH!

It just happened to me, too.
I decided to have a shot of Talksker and the cork tore in half.

I managed to get it out of the neck without too many crumbs going into the bottle.
Then I used one of those vacuum wine stoppers that never get used because what the hell is leftover wine?
That is what I used to close the bottle.

My wife said, "Now we can't open a bottle of wine." thwap0

I would just push the cork into the bottle a pour a shot.

I actually saw an experienced sommelier do that with a very expensive bottle of wine.The diners didn't bat an eyelash at it and enjoyed the vino anyway. I was making a Bananas Foster dish at another table, and they had me do a couple orders later on. Flaming brandy will do it every time.

Reactions: DFB
This happens to me a lot, as I have gotten very into drinking old whiskey from the 80s and 90s. A corkscrew is a really messy way to do it, and I do not recommend that.

I've come up with a pretty good solution for getting it out. What I do is take flat, metal skewers and very slowly and carefully wedge them on opposite edges of the remaining cork, one at a time, between the cork & glass. Then I use them kind of like chopsticks to very slowly pull the cork out. It is not always successful, but it's a much better chance than anything else I've tried.

And to answer your question, it could have been an old cork, which many of them do fail with time. Or it just could have been poorly made, which is actually common with some pretty big brands in my experience.

cs.jpg

This happens to me a lot, as I have gotten very into drinking old whiskey from the 80s and 90s. A corkscrew is a really messy way to do it, and I do not recommend that.

I've come up with a pretty good solution for getting it out. What I do is take flat, metal skewers and very slowly and carefully wedge them on opposite edges of the remaining cork, one at a time, between the cork & glass. Then I use them kind of like chopsticks to very slowly pull the cork out. It is not always successful, but it's a much better chance than anything else I've tried.

This is the correct answer. They make a bottle opener specifically for this, you don't see them much anymore luckily I've got one.
il_570xN.921319989_kg4o.jpg

Back