When it rains.....it hails.

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
So....on top of everything else we had a nice little hail storm this afternoon right after I got home. Got up to about quarter sized hail - maybe a bit bigger. I have about 20 or so dents on the roof of my Honda and probably about ten on the hood. Most of them are not too big.

Trying to figure out if I file a claim. The car is almost 14 years old and I have a $500 deductible. But of course do nothing and that comes out of the trade in value. I'm guessing maybe $700 - $800 in damage? It should have hailed harder so I could just total the car.

File a claim. I always feel bad for Denver when I can hear the storms blowing east over my house

That sucks. Hopefully a small claim won't cause them to up your rates. :mad:

I've seen hail only a few times, once in Colorado up on a MTB trail west of Winter Park. I hid under a tree until after it passed and then made the mistake of riding on the hail mixed with loose rocks. It acted like lubricated bearings! I almost went off a switchback and basically had to body check the ground to stop.

That sucks!

I've had two cars damaged by hail. Gotta love midwest storms.

One car had a few thousand dollars in damage. I paid off the last few payments and had enough left over to buy a drum set. I dove that car with the dents for five more years. Most of the dents came out over time.

The other car just had a few dents and I never filed a claim as I had a $1,000 deductible.

I am filing a claim and I will see where it goes from there. I could pay off the rest of what I owe on the car (appr $300) if the repairs are a decent amount above my deductible. I could care less about actually getting that fixed.

Just got off the phone with the insurance company. It sounds like they do not write checks to the individual at all unless the vehicle is totaled. All checks are to the individual and the shop. So I will get the estimate and go from there.

I am considering that, but I still owe about $300.00 on the car so I am not sure they will just give the cash to me.

Yeah, I don't know if they have to send the money to a body shop, or if they send it to you.
I know they USED to send out small claims to the end user, but I haven't filed a "small" claim in years.....

Since hail is an "act of God", I doubt the claim will raise your rate.

Of course, insurance companies are even lower on the scum chain than bankers and lawyers, so I could be wrong. :embarrassed:

hail-to-the-king.png

At least this guy didn't drive it around first. :embarrassed:

Finally - a useful idea.......

At least until I see an adequate replacement will run about $12k - $15k. Dang - cars are expensive now. Especially 4WD/AWD.

They sure are.

I'm in the market for a "toy" vehicle. I want a Jeep TJ. They were made from 1997 to 2006.

Most I've seen that aren't completely rusted or abused to hell are in the $8k+ price range, and that's for something with almost 200k miles on it.

No way in hell I'm paying that.

Finally - a useful idea.......

At least until I see an adequate replacement will run about $12k - $15k. Dang - cars are expensive now. Especially 4WD/AWD.
Cars w/ awd, yes. 4x4 Trucks, especially full size, are damn cheap used these days. I had to wait and cherry pick a good deal on my mid size dakota when I could have snagged dozens of cheap full size trucks. But, you don't want a truck so that does you no good. :)

Back