When did you realize bass was as cool as guitar (maybe cooler)?

Roger Waters disagrees even more! He'll probably write a song about his dead dad moaning about the rock star lifestyle whilst writing a song on bass to prove it! :embarrassed:

Meanwhile..... Paul McCartney writes a song about racoons and frogs :embarrassed:

I've played in groups with good bass, bad bass, and no bass and I can definitely state that a good bass player is more important than a good drummer.

Erm, a good bassist is important, but more important than a good drummer? Nope, dont think so

Great bass players always amaze me with their ear for harmony. It's not just rhythm. Mediocre guitarists don't even deal with harmony, they just play chords and lead. Not true for jazz guitarists of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really enjoy playing bass but I'm really not very good at it. Cant play fingerstyle and even my picking is a bit inconsistent with the heavier strings. I'm definitely a better guitarist but bass is really fun. I'd definitely want to give it a go in a band, something punky with fast aggressive rattly sounding bass :)

But if you can only (effectively) play 1 note at a time it's not an instrument you can compose on, so no.

I would disagree with this as well, some of my best riffs have been written by jamming around on bass.

Last edited:
Another thing that happened in the '90s and still continues was a shift keyboard players being band directors for singers to the bass players. They are like the sonic glue between the rhythm and harmony that is the foundation of the music. Of course, there are well trained musicians well versed in the language of the profession...them lines, dots, and whatnot. And I ain't talking about strings, frets, and inlays.

I've liked playing bass also as long as I've played guitar, and almost as long as I've played drums. I actually think I might have a little more fun on bass than on guitar (though it depends on the band situation) but for some reason I seem to always end up on guitar.

And yeah, while bass doesn't jump out as a compositional instrument the way guitar or piano does, the potential is absolutely there. For a little while it was my main instrument for writing, and it pushed my songwriting in some good ways.

this guy made bass cool. and, ironically, the rest of his band wound up making metal extremely lame, coporate garbage. banana stickers

I was 15 when I bought my first bass.All it took was learning a few JPJ bass lines and I was hooked.
I need to get a new fish.

Back