When did you realize bass was as cool as guitar (maybe cooler)?

Dogsinplastic

avuncular to no one
I was going to do poll, but the choices are not finite. Here's a shot at some parameters...

-- always knew
-- eventually caught on
-- coming around
-- still see them as merely melodic time keepers
-- bass is lame

Anyway, I know I didn't get it for quite a few years. A big part was the common band scene wherein many bassists were guitarists the couldn't keep up with the Joneses or those that saw the exponential difference in the availability of gigs for bassists.

There were only a handful of players that started on or were really into being bassists. For the past decade plus my ear has become more and more attuned to basslines, to the point where I feel like I missed my calling and the opportunities that may have gone along with it. No real regrets, but it's such a killer instrument and so important to all varieties of music.

back in high school when I went to jam with another guitar playing friend. He was a better guitar player, so I ended up on bass.

It's a good instrument. It's an important instrument. It's a fun instrument. But if you can only (effectively) play 1 note at a time it's not an instrument you can compose on, so no.

When my brother started playing. For a guy who didn't take lessons, he quickly figured his way around the fretboard and blew folks away with his playing. I wish I still had some sound clips.

I've played in groups with good bass, bad bass, and no bass and I can definitely state that a good bass player is more important than a good drummer.

Foo has played bass since I was a sprout so it's always been around. He introduced me to Jones, Lee, Squire, Entwistle, Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius when I was still in jr high skool. I've been a bass fan for a long time.

I love playing bass, but I'm really not all that great at it.

It is definitely an essential part of a band's sound, and a bad bass player can ruin an otherwise great band.

I dunno. I play bass like a guitarist in a band covering other bassists who play like guitarists. I like the bass. And I really like my bass. But it's not the guitar.

Back