What's your upgrade criteria?

JC777

g00b
I picked up an Ibanez 7 string for giggles a few months ago for a ridiculously low price. I wasn't expecting much.
But it's actually a solid guitar and I find myself playing it a fair amount. The problem is the pick ups are flubby. Considering a set of BK Holy Divers. But I'm on the fence as to whether I'm upgrading a solid platform or polishing a turd.
The pickups are almost twice what I paid for the guitar.

No harm. I guess I could pull them if I decide to upgrade (guitars) later.
That's where I always overthink it. When I consider upgrading something, I wonder if the money would be better spent on a higher end model.

I agree with punchy....you can always take the pups out later and put them in a better guitar. You absolutely can't go wrong with BKP....I have them in 2 guitars. One is a lower end LP Studio. If I ever sell it the pups stay with me.

If you like everything about the guitar except the pickups, seems like a no brainer to me.

I usually live with the guitar as-is for a bit unless there's something that really annoys me right off. If you like the guitar and plan to keep it for a while plus have the spare cash, why not upgrade the pickups? Simple upgrades that you can reverse if you decide or don't invest a ton of cash into that you'll lose on resale are pretty low risk.

I don't really consider the economics of an upgrade. I'm not a big pickup swapper. I've swapped out only a handful of pickups in the last 35 years of playing. I guess I just use the sounds that a guitar makes and only replace them if there is something that just doesn't work well for me. i don't have a particular sound I'm chasing and I don't gig so functionality like noiseless pickup swaps or the like don't matter to me.

I don't really consider the economics of an upgrade. I'm not a big pickup swapper. I've swapped out only a handful of pickups in the last 35 years of playing. I guess I just use the sounds that a guitar makes and only replace them if there is something that just doesn't work well for me. i don't have a particular sound I'm chasing and I don't gig so functionality like noiseless pickup swaps or the like don't matter to me.

It's not that I'm chasing tone so much as these only sound good dialed in to a few settings. Otherwise they are muddy, overly bassy, not well defined. I was originally looking at a 7 string PAF from Dimarzio.

A solid platform to start with. No stripped screws, solid intonation, no fret buzz.

Got a great deal on the original purchase.

The project cost in total when done is very close to what I can purchase original unit for at retail.

That's what I've looked for and done on 4 so far.

If you like everything about the guitar except the pickups, seems like a no brainer to me.
I always do this. I used to buy guitars thinking of all the great mods I could do. Then when it came down to it, I always changed my mind not wanting to put a lot of money into a $200 guitar. I've sold all the projects and this like I said was just a whim to see if I would even like a 7 string. But the construction is sold, fret ends are nice. Neck is super straight. I picked it up for $168 and tax. The pickups are $300. I just have to make that conscious break.
I think the overall consensus is it's worth it. So I'm going to order them.

It's not that I'm chasing tone so much as these only sound good dialed in to a few settings. Otherwise they are muddy, overly bassy, not well defined. I was originally looking at a 7 string PAF from Dimarzio.

Two of the guitars that I have swapped pickups in were Ibanez guitars. They seem to have a real talent of making anemic pickups. I guess if they sound cruddy, you should swap them out. As for the economics of doing so in a cheaper guitar, just keep the OEM pickups and sell the guitar and Dimarzios separately if you opt to part ways in the future.

Two of the guitars that I have swapped pickups in were Ibanez guitars. They seem to have a real talent of making anemic pickups. I guess if they sound cruddy, you should swap them out. As for the economics of doing so in a cheaper guitar, just keep the OEM pickups and sell the guitar and Dimarzios separately if you opt to part ways in the future.
Yeah, I've only had 3, now with the 7 string, over the years. The only pickups I liked were in my first RG 560. I think they are S1 and V2's
I pulled it out of the cobwebs last week and put a fresh set of strings on it. I had forgotten how good that guitar felt. Honeymoon phase is definitely back on.
My second Iby I never bonded with and sold.

Upgrading pickups is one of the easiest things to do on a guitar to bring it up a level. When I buy cheaper guitars, if I like the way the guitar plays, upgrading the pickups is usually on my list of things to do.

Go for it and enjoy even more!!!

I think a guitar is just a collection of parts anyway.

I bought a Peavey Predator for $60.

Put a Callaham bridge on it: $140

Found some used and new Fender Noiseless pickups: $150

A new Warmoth neck: $200

Miscellaneous parts, pickguard, tuning keys, electronics: $160

It's a reliable, playable, fun guitar. Still looks like a pile of garbage, though.

Question 1: Do you have other 7-String guitars?

If so, replace the pickups. If you flip, you can always use the pickups in another guitar.

Question 2: Do you anticipate buying another 7-String guitar in the future.

If so, replace the pickups. If you flip, you can always use the pickups in another guitar.

Question 3: How long do plan to keep the guitar and continue to play it?

Longer than a year, change the pickups

Less than 2 months, leave as is.

On the fence, leave as is.

Question 1: Do you have other 7-String guitars?

Question 2: Do you anticipate buying another 7-String guitar in the future.

Question 3: How long do plan to keep the guitar and continue to play it?

Longer than a year, change the pickups

Less than 2 months, leave as is.

On the fence, leave as is.

Nope. First 7 string. The original idea was buy cheap and see if I would enjoy\use it, and I did.
Then I came to the crossroads, offload for an upgraded model? Prestige is a little pricey. Used Universe, not really gaining anything except the Whammy. Also not knowing the particular voicing of pickups in other 7 strings, I didn't want to end up with something more suited to down tuned metal. Not that I don't enjoy my metal, just not what I will be using it for.
So for now, I'll have less than 5 in it and have a usable 7 string.

Last edited:
Nope. First 7 string. The original idea was buy cheap and see if I would enjoy\use it, and I did.
Then I came to the crossroads, offload for an upgraded model? Prestige is a little pricey. Used Universe, not really gaining anything except the Whammy. Also not knowing the particular voicing of pickups in other 7 strings, I didn't want to end up with something more suited to down tuned metal. Not that I don't enjoy my metal, just not what I will be using it for.
So for now, I'll have less than 5 in it and have a usable 7 string.

With that said, of the pickups that you have replaced in your other 6's, which ones did you like and would use again. I would see if that company offers of a 7-String in that model. Just a suggestion. Understood about the metal as that has become somewhat the new standard. For me I can't see owning a 7 other than to play jazz and the would be whole different category.

You're only polishing a turd if the guitar is dead acoustically, then you'll just probably never be happy.

If it plays well, looks good to you and sounds decent unplugged, go for it.

This. If I'm buying an electric, I almost never plug in when I'm testing it. If it has great intonation and if I can feel the vibrations of the strings up in the headstock, then there's nothing that can't be easily fixed electronically.

Back