What's Your Favorite Low Powered Amp

Which pedal? I am on a reverb kick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
image.jpg

Not a connoisseur by any means but my US made Crate 2110R has never let me down since I bought it new. 18w EL34s one channel. Bass treble gain and a mid button. Small reverb tank.
I also have a Pignose Hog 20 rechargeable and a Mustang 1. Both do what they do well.

I don't know much about amps. I know I love the sound of Mark's Epi Valve and looked forward to using it in class.

The only amp I've owned was inherited; my 1962 Princeton. The more I learn about amps, the more fortunate I feel that I have this one.

I've got a couple that shine, but not necessarily in all situations. I have a Fender Ramparte (9 watts) that I like a lot, and it really shines when paired with single coil pickups. I also have a Crate Palomino V8 (5 watts) that gives great voice to my Gretsch 5120. While I still own it, the Vox Mini 3 is also a nice low wattage amp that can offer a few effects and amp simulations. Also, being able to operate on either batteries or an AC adapter, you can take it anywhere. It's that last feature that is making me give it to my granddaughter , along with a pink Fender Strat Mini, for her birthday in August.

I would say 20w and under.

That changes the equation some now...

To add to my previous post then: Jet City JCA20 Heads, Deluxe Tweed Clone, Fender Excelsior

I plan on flipping one of my Jet City heads as I don't run two in stereo anymore.

Laney LC15 is pretty good. I had not played the SS Vox Mini 5 for a while - but did last night. Pretty nice for a very small package. Honorable mention for the Kustom Tube 12 w/ Zoom G2 in front. I had a Tweaker that I thought was nice for a while - but ended up selling it. So you know...

CrateVintageClub2110.jpg

Here's the little Crate. Most of the time I just plug straight in, esp. around the house. I can find a setting that sounds good with any of my guitars for just about any style of music. Live, sometimes I'll run an OD in front for a lead boost, or a Dyna Comp barely on for chicken picking or if I'm playing a lot of chimey open string chords. It's been a great little amp and loud enough to hang with any situation I've found myself in for the last 20 yrs.

This is my latest small amp. This little bugger is amazing. Kinda in the same territory as the Crate but different. This little rig loves humbuckers. The cab is a used no name closed back that I picked up. It came loaded with a Celestion G12t-75. The groovy fabric came from a local fabric store for. $3.00.
102af57b-e689-4776-82f7-81a977fe0a79_zpsb5a82a88.jpg

I bought this years ago thinking it would do for a camp out bass amp, but it's too farty for that. Great little grab n go guitar amp tho for those jams with no electricity.
1156d319-34a2-4533-baf6-88093a6a6622_zps9323ca4e.jpg

Not to be an ad-bot...but Reverb.com is giving away a Dr Z Maz 18. That would become my favorite lo-power amp in a heartbeat. Just sayin.

I've never owned a lower wattage amp, but I'd like to try these Traynors. Either the 20w or the 40w.

hovercraft dwarvenaut 20

20 watts. from very very loud to talking levels it always sounds great.

Back