Whats your current "#1"?

Been playing slide lately. I use this for that purpose.

image.jpg

and what is that?

Silvertone. 1946.
Mom bought it for dad for Christmas after he came home from WWII. It was his first guitar that he owned outright.
He played it in bands with his brother Jack all through the late 40s and into the 50s til he moved to town.
He continued playing it at home til the 70s, when the neck came loose and he he tossed it up in the attic where it lay forgotten til I found it in 08 and rebuilt it.
The back and top were in pieces and not attached at all. The neck was totally off and the tuners were toast.
I had to reinforce the spruce top where it was worn almost completely through but it still sounds good.
The action is way better now than it was when I tried to play it as a kid.

image.jpg

Yay. Another rotated pic. :annoyed:
@Mark Wein Anybody know why this happens? Every time I post a pic that is in portrait mode, the site rotates it 90 degrees.

Last edited:
My new strings from Sweetwater arrived.
I've always liked Dean Markley strings and they just brought out two new sets.
I got a set for the white guitar and a set for the Silvertone.

image.jpg
image.jpg

So far so good. They are smoother than a regular round wound.

Been playing this an awful lot lately

Reverend Stu D. Baker

I should've gotten a semi-hollow a long time ago, most of the time when I practice it's just sitting in front of the TV unplugged, so the semi-hollowness works out well for that. I think I like this guitar even more than the Reverend Sensei :)

Even plugged in, it sounds great for hard rock like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Boston, etc and does my metal on the high gain channel just fine, albeit with some hum from the P-90s.

On another note, I noticed my old '84 Carvin had just a bit of backwards bow on it the other day, so I did a slight truss rod adjustment (I had adjusted it slightly during the winter to relieve some of the forward bow it had gotten from the dry winter weather, so now it's back to 'normal' after this new adjustment).

Dang, if this DC160 doesn't have the lowest action of any guitar I've ever played. I just don't like the deadness of the guitar since it's made out of a thick slab of maple, with a maple neck. I know you probably didn't care for it when you played it, Mark, but you have to admit the action was pretty darned low. And it doesn't fret-out anywhere :)

photo (58).JPG

I've been tweaking the action and intonation on this and it's in pretty good shape now. The bridge pickup with a slapback through my Peavey Classic 50 is just a blast.

New guitars usually have a "can't put it down" stage. This one is in a "can't wait to get home and start playing it" stage.

The contrast in tones is also making me appreciate my Tele more so the Tele is getting a lot of love, too.

Back