Question: What's the most effective way to sell gear today?

Where should I post some gear for sale?

• Total voters

jelloman

Couch'd Tater...
I have several guitars, an amp, and a bunch of various parts to sell, and knowing that the market is really soft right now what has been your most successful selling tool?

...other than here, that is...

I have had a pretty decent run with Reverb. It seems to have gained a well-deserved growing following, and most offers are pretty legit. While it is still nowhere as near the exposure as EBay gets, between the prices I am agreeing to and the lower fees, it is a much better alternative.

Epi Sheraton2 w/hsc...400
Epi LP w/hsc...350
Epi G400...200
Tech21 Trademark 30...250

Reverb. Don't even bother with TGP on that stuff. And forget eBay, if only because of the fees. You could try CL, but only if you like screwing with lowballers.

Reverb. Don't even bother with TGP on that stuff. And forget eBay, if only because of the fees. You could try CL, but only if you like screwing with lowballers.
Craigslist scares the hell out of me...lowballers, tire kickers, strangers in my house or in some parking lot somewhere...none of it sounds good to me...

Ebay's fee structure totally fucking sucks. But it's absolutely the most effective way to sell your gear. If you have time to wait for offers, then Reverb

I think you'll sell it the fastest on eBay. But they do have significantly higher fees than some other options.

I've used craigslist. The price you get will be low unless you want to wait forever but it's free. I figured it up and by the time you pay eBay fees, the lower price on CL seemed worth it to me.
Trading sucks unless you just don't want to screw with it. They'll offer 60-70% of what they can sell it for. Sucks, but there's no waiting and no hassle of selling.

Ebay's fee structure totally fucking sucks. But it's absolutely the most effective way to sell your gear. If you have time to wait for offers, then Reverb

What I do sometimes, is list it on eBay and reverb and on the EBay listing, I allow the make offer option. When I get an offer I direct them to my reverb ad. I get the eBay exposure and the reverb fees.

What I do sometimes, is list it on eBay and reverb and on the EBay listing, I allow the make offer option. When I get an offer I direct them to my reverb ad. I get the eBay exposure and the reverb fees.
Yep, I do the same.

Yep, I do the same.
How does that work? Are you running "buy now" plus "make offer" without an auction? And do you then send them a link to Reverb?

I'm not ready to buy, but I'm interested in that sheraton. And I've only sold stuff on Craigslist, and pretty much had it priced to sell because I needed to clear out the music room.

How does that work? Are you running "buy now" plus "make offer" without an auction? And do you then send them a link to Reverb?

I don't remember how I listed it, I remember adding the make offer to the eBay listing and when I got an offer that I liked, I said I would take that offer if they bought it from my reverb listing and sent them a link.

On ebay, I start every auction at $1 with no reserve (to generate interest) and schedule every auction to end on Sunday night. Then, I list on Reverb with a "make offer" option. Then I end the reverb listing with a day left for ebay, as you can't take down a listing with bids after that time. I always hope it'll sell on reverb, but either way it's sold in a week

On ebay, I start every auction at $1 with no reserve (to generate interest) and schedule every auction to end on Sunday night. Then, I list on Reverb with a "make offer" option. Then I end the reverb listing with a day left for ebay, as you can't take down a listing with bids after that time. I always hope it'll sell on reverb, but either way it's sold in a week

I usually list stuff on reverb for a few weeks before I hit eBay. I am never in a big rush to sell though.

Back