What's the hardest band member to find?

Yeah, you are lucky to have the Doc. Some of his keyboard solos i have heard were jaw dropping.

The best part is that while he can play that way he knows how to craft a part that fits into a song or even when to leave some space.

The best part is that while he can play that way he knows how to craft a part that fits into a song or even when to leave some space.

Yeah, i have noticed that. And all the while he makes it look so completely effortless. :grin:

Drummer who isn't a total basket of penises is pretty tough. Good drummer. Crazy drummer. Mediocre drummer. You can find these folks pretty easily. Finding a drummer who is good and not a candidate for forced sterilization--like looking for a unicorn.

3. A keyboard player who isn't a prima dona.
2. A drummer who isn't a flake.
1. A vocalist who isn't a egocentric douchebag.

I first remember Benmont Tench from Jeff Becks' "orange" album.
He was hot hot on everything.
Lyle Mays is amazing, even if he never was just rock, and even though he was "New Chattauqua".

I'll trade three rock keyboardists for one bassist, or 265 guitarists.

Too bad more folks don't idolize Benmont Tench. Or even know who he is.

My band covers this song and I had to learn the key/organ parts to teach our other guitar player. Great stuff. Nothing crazy difficult but it makes the song.

Last edited by a moderator:
This makes me think, Hump, that another option is to get a talented drummer/guitar player and teach them key parts. If you're not looking for a guy to tear up the ivories, but just a littl boogy-woogie or hammer chords and a few runs here and there who needs Herbie hancock? The Frankenstein that you create isn't going to worry about the key parts being beneath him because he's not that good. Just barely good enough to play them. He'll give space to the other musicians because he is one of them.

That's what my band does. Me and the other guitarist take turns on synth\keys duties. :shrug: It's an idea.

This makes me think, Hump, that another option is to get a talented drummer/guitar player and teach them key parts. If you're not looking for a guy to tear up the ivories, but just a littl boogy-woogie or hammer chords and a few runs here and there who needs Herbie hancock? The Frankenstein that you create isn't going to worry about the key parts being beneath him because he's not that good. Just barely good enough to play them. He'll give space to the other musicians because he is one of them.

That's what my band does. Me and the other guitarist take turns on synth\keys duties. :shrug: It's an idea.

I already tried that, I had a guy who plays guitar and sings who I was in a couple bands with trying that but it didn't work.

Sounds like me. Good for some pads, some simple leads and fills just to keep the groove going.

I'm in the process of putting a band together and it ain't fun.

Me and my music partner are gonna need some guys who wantto leave the songwriting to us but still want to learn and play all our songs. Heh. Basically we need a drummer and a multi-instrumentalist Who will be our bitch (who can play everything we play.... Due to the way we wrote the songs there is gonna be alot of instrument swapping)

I'm thinking we got a long road ahead finding the right folk

I'm in the process of putting a band together and it ain't fun.

Me and my music partner are gonna need some guys who wantto leave the songwriting to us but still want to learn and play all our songs. Heh. Basically we need a drummer and a multi-instrumentalist Who will be our bitch (who can play everything we play.... Due to the way we wrote the songs there is gonna be alot of instrument swapping)

I'm thinking we got a long road ahead finding the right folk

You can probably find the drummer, but that other person is gonna be tough. A talented multi-instrumentalist is likely going to want to have input and have opinions. You're probably hosed.

Drummer who isn't a total basket of penises is pretty tough. Good drummer. Crazy drummer. Mediocre drummer. You can find these folks pretty easily. Finding a drummer who is good and not a candidate for forced sterilization--like looking for a unicorn.

True.
You can probably find the drummer, but that other person is gonna be tough. A talented multi-instrumentalist is likely going to want to have input and have opinions. You're probably hosed.

Also true.

Yeah, we actually got a few drummers in mind but we wan someone who can sing harmonies while playin. A mike portnoy of sorts :lol:

Back