What's the best "old" guitar you've ever played?

Speaking of Gretsch... My Buddies 1961 was a great play. Not the best but close for that style.

Gretsch_1961_1800_00.jpg

Foo's old Jazz bass is a pretty amazing guitar. That's probably my favorite.
To be perfectly honest, I'd lie cheat and steal to own his 70s Norlin Marauder. That guitar is pretty amazing, too. I like it a lot. Yeah I know, it's a cheap 70s low end Gibson with a bolt on neck. Yes, and it's a damn good one, too. It happened that a good one snuck through from time to time. About like today. :lol:

There was a 1930s Gibson oval hole archtop I played once. It was player grade but sound. It sounded really cool and was fun to play.

A 52 ES125 was memorable, mainly for the pickup. For me, it had "that" sound a P90 should have. It was a sweet filthy whore of a pickup.
(The Duncan antiquity is a dead on copy of that pickup to my recollection.)

My dad's Yamaha acoustic. The thing sounds amazing and plays super easy. It isn't as old as me, but pretty close.

I'm happy to say that the best old guitar I've ever played has been in my collection since the '80's. It's my '64 Melody Maker:
34772_1505481845385_1475550_n.jpg

63 double bound telecaster custom in candy apple red. I fixed it up for a friend of my dad and he let me hang on to it for a few years. It was an epic guitar.

This is a 66 Kay Vanguard absolutely mint. It lives under my bed. Plays like a dream and sounds like nothing else.
6ac61646c526bf5f48b4cb4eb933f7f7.jpg
7ddd5d717a4bf68772e37893e54a4456.jpg
a746551006131a93ba4adefca74d9704.jpg

Also this 57 Gretsch Clipper is pretty sweet.
507c80d98d023eb3d4bbdf4d184bb94d.jpg
986343f87b99e7f07054658343321f6c.jpg
a15770d9ed559ca0e8dd8bde1ac4adcc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I played a 60's J-200 at Carter Vintage that was incredibly sweet. I've played a couple of Loar-era Mandolins that are amazing, but I'm not even close to good enough to justify one.

Coolest old electric I've played was a '62 Tele a friend's uncle had.

Man, you guys have been fortunate to play some nice old guitars. The oldest I ever played was a '96 Strat that I bought off of eBay. :cry: Still got it, though. Maybe one of my guitars will be on an oldie guitar thread some day. My son is showing an interest, and my granddaughter definitely loves the one I got her for Christmas.

played a 50's Martin a few years ago. It was one of the best acoustics I have ever played. That thing was beat up....old bluegrass picker was original owner.

The one that comes to mind was the old Martin acoustic I tried at Lavonnes in Savage, Minnesota maybe eight or ten years ago?

Basically the people in the store were just making everyone who came in play the thing even though it was extremely expensive. I'm guessing that it was well over 50 years old and possibly older - I can't remember the date it was made.

It ended up being consigned by the grandkids of the original owner - he passed away and nobody else in the family played guitar. It was very worn but had a lifetime of experience played into it since the guy played all his life mostly. It was in good shape for a very old guitar but make no mistake it had been well used.

They would just go "don't ask, just play this and let us know what you think".

The thing had this uncanny ability to make kernels of new songs drop right out of your hands one after the other. In 15 minutes I'd written the frameworks of something like 4 or 5 songs. Apparently it had that effect on everyone who picked it up.

One guy who had a dry spell that lasted a few years almost wrote a whole record on it in an hour if the salespeople are to be believed.

I always wondered who ended up with that guitar.

I keep wondering about some instruments that are magic like that.

I've posted before about an exhibition of early (50s and 60s) Fender advertising at a Fullerton art museum. They had a vintage strat set up with for anyone who wanted to, could play. Nothing felt and sounded so right as that guitar.

The thing had this uncanny ability to make kernels of new songs drop right out of your hands one after the other. In 15 minutes I'd written the frameworks of something like 4 or 5 songs. Apparently it had that effect on everyone who picked it up.
I keep wondering about some instruments that are magic like that.

I had that happen with a D'Aquisto Excel. It played ME.

Back