What's the best "old" guitar you've ever played?

GreatDane

"up yours, baby."
older doesn't always mean better and there are a lot of damn-fine contemporary guitars out there today. that said...

what was the best old guitar you've ever played? for the sake of clarity; by "old", i mean constructed prior to 1980.

bonus points for pics.

double-bonus points for details surrounding the experience.

My absolute favorite was a 1958 strat that I tried at GC in 2002 when I was shopping for my Suhr. Since I was newly married I realized that buying a $9500 guitar would have probably ended up with me being divorced.

67 SG Junior...

It wasn't fancy, but it was probably the easiest guitar to play that I've ever picked up. I foolishly sold it a while back, and I'll see if I can dig up some pics. I think we spoke of this guitar a few times during the purchase Ben, and I was grateful for your input. :thu:

I played a Telecaster that was serial # 400-ish. Not sure what year that makes it, but that guitar played very nice :)

The guy that owned it was gigging it as his main guitar. I was in a garage band and we were the opening band at a benefit show at a Teamsters Union, he was in the headlining band.

I think I'd be afraid to gig something that old, although this was in the mid-'80s, 30 years ago...

1963 Gibson Es-125

Oldest guitar I own. My dad gave 9 bucks for it in about 1984 or ao. I couldn't ever sell it if I wanted.

I've tried some that are over a hundred years old and that still sound great. Shouldn't be that suprising when you consider the fact that Stradivari died in 1737.

A 56 Strat I bought along with a 59 Bassman in 1998. I sold the pair in 2002 when I moved to Arizona. If my knee hinged the other way I could kick myself in the ass.

For me it was a 1960's Silvertone with the amp in case:
guitar_banner.jpg

The amp sucked, but the guitar was a joy to play. Nicely balanced, great neck, easy action, and it screamed garage rock. Of course, it was not an old guitar when I played it...:hippie:

That thing is just ridiculous.

it was. i sold it earlier this year to a really great guy in PA who was a garbage truck salesman. that was, hands down, the most stressful sale i've ever had because of the amount of money "in float". i was literally on the edge of my seat for three weeks after he received the package waiting for him to either he was good with the transaction.

it was. i sold it earlier this year to a really great guy in PA who was a garbage truck salesman. that was, hands down, the most stressful sale i've ever had because of the amount of money "in float". i was literally on the edge of my seat for three weeks after he received the package waiting for him to either he was good with the transaction.
I remember! Yeah, that was a large amount of money.

I got to play an early 50s Fender Broadcaster once. It was owned by an older gentleman that I went to church with. Amazing guitar to play. I've never had 'feel' like that in an electric guitar before or since. He sold it not too long after to finance a hand built hollow body guitar by a well known custom builder.

My 71 and 78 Strats for electrics

1971_Blonde_Strat_1800_01.jpg

Mistress_1800_00.jpg

And my Grandfathers Gibson L ??? from 1927. It is not a lead instrument but it has amazing tone

Gibson_L50.jpg

Back