What would you do?

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I took this from a thread over at the gear page. What would you do?

if you were looking at guitars in a major retail store and came across a unreal deal. Paid for it , took it home and got a call the next day from the store telling you they made a mistake and want you to bring the guitar back. Would you keep it because legally there is nothing they can do. Or take it back.

More info from OP:

Basically it's a 2015 American standard that was in the used section priced under 700. Turns out it was brand new and somehow ended up with a used tag on it.

More info from OP:

Basically it's a 2015 American standard that was in the used section priced under 700. Turns out it was brand new and somehow ended up with a used tag on it.

That is their mistake. Legally you are not bound to return it.

What will they do for you if you "do the ethical thing"?

20 years ago I would have kept it. Now I would probably return it as someone will probably lose their job or have to pay the difference on it.

Retail chain? Keep it. You paid more than wholesale (~$650 by my math)...they didn't lose money on the guitar, they just didn't cover overhead. There are still some brick and mortar Fender dealers who will sell at 40% off MSRP ($780-800 for a AS Strat), so this won't ruin their month.

I'm surprised they called you, very unprofessional. Do you have a familiar enough relationship with the management/employees that they felt comfortable calling you about it? A seasoned, professional retail manager would never have called you about it after the sale. They would be looking suspiciously at the employee who tagged it, mis-marking a product and having a friend swing by to buy it is an old trick. Losing thousands of dollars to a dishonest employee is a bigger worry than losing profit margin on one sale.

Last edited:
Retail chain? Keep it. You paid more than wholesale (~$650 by my math)...they didn't lose money on the guitar, they just didn't cover overhead. There are still some brick and mortar Fender dealers who will sell at 40% off MSRP ($780-800 for a AS Strat), so this won't ruin their month.

I'm surprised they called you, very unprofessional. Do you have a familiar enough relationship with the management/employees that they felt comfortable calling you about it? A seasoned, professional retail manager would never have called you about it after the sale. They would be looking suspiciously at the employee who tagged it, mis-marking a product and having a friend swing by to buy it is an old trick. Losing thousands of dollars to a dishonest employee is a bigger worry than losing profit margin on one sale.

Thanks for your input, but this isn't me. It's someone off of the Gear Page. They did ultimately call him... twice. Once to ask him to bring it back... then again to tell him that he didn't have to

Depends a bit on the store, but I'd likely return it in exchange for a heavy discount on another purchase.

You would think that they have all the serial numbers in a database so that when he walks up to buy it they would know right away if the tag was the correct one or not.

I probably would have brought it back, but would expect a nice discount off something else for being nice when it was their fault.

You would think that they have all the serial numbers in a database so that when he walks up to buy it they would know right away if the tag was the correct one or not.

I probably would have brought it back, but would expect a nice discount off something else for being nice when it was their fault.

I bought my Taylor because it was mispriced by $600 in my favor. The manager did right, but marked the receipt "as-is".

Thanks for your input, but this isn't me. It's someone off of the Gear Page. They did ultimately call him... twice. Once to ask him to bring it back... then again to tell him that he didn't have to

Oh sure, just like when "your friend" has medical issues.

Sell it on Reverb, use the proceeds to go back and buy an even nicer guitar from the same place.

:)

Tough call, and I hesitate to impart my personal morality here because well... you know. ; )

I think I would have to carefully consider a number of factors before making a decision. If it was GC, I'd probably tell them to pound sand. They've made plenty off of me over the years.

Any other outlet, it would depend. I don't think there's a right or wrong component here though. It is ultimately the seller's mistake and a valuable lesson learned the hard way.

Back