What was your first amp?

One of these with a match cab...loud, but bland...died a rather violent death when the OT blew.
_c118884_image_0.JPG

The cab looked like this...
$_59.JPG

Wish I still had the amp, I would have gutted the chassis a long time ago and made a Plexi.

I actually had 1) a JCPenney stereo system with an 8-track player, where I figured out that if I stuck the guitar cable into the AUX jack just so, and had an 8-track cartridge inserted just so, that I could play through the stereo while the 8-track was turned on :thu:. Oh, it sounded bad, but was pretty cool to figure out (I don't have the patience to use my brain like that these days). I also had the use of my dad's Sears catalog special :ack:. I did get a pair of headphones with a guitar amp built in that actually was somewhat decent and lasted a good long while.

The first amp I bought for myself was back in 1984 in Germany: a cheapo Ibanez SS 10-watter :facepalm: to go with my MIJ Lotus Strat copy :facepalm:

When I was a kid, I bought an amp from my neighbor at a yard sale for $5. I have no idea what kind it was, probably some Sears amp, but it did have tubes. I didn't even have an electric guitar yet, so I put headphones around the body of my dad's acoustic and plugged them in.
Then when I got an electric, I didn't have the amp anymore, so I plugged it into the mic input on my stereo but I had to have a cassette in the player with record, play and pause pushed in order for it to come out of the speakers.
My first amp that I remember was a Crate bass amp.

When I was a kid, I bought an amp from my neighbor at a yard sale for $5. I have no idea what kind it was, probably some Sears amp, but it did have tubes. I didn't even have an electric guitar yet, so I put headphones around the body of my dad's acoustic and plugged them in.
Then when I got an electric, I didn't have the amp anymore, so I plugged it into the mic input on my stereo but I had to have a cassette in the player with record, play and pause pushed in order for it to come out of the speakers.
My first amp that I remember was a Crate bass amp.
Second time in this thread someone has done the 8 Track thing. Was it a Carpenter's album? Burt Bacharach? Maybe Herb Albert and the Tijuana Jazz? Soundtrack to Jesus Christ Superstar? Could have been if I had done that at my house.

Second time in this thread someone has done the 8 Track thing. Was it a Carpenter's album? Burt Bacharach? Maybe Herb Albert and the Tijuana Jazz? Soundtrack to Jesus Christ Superstar? Could have been if I had done that at my house.

Actually a broken tape copy of the Ace Frehley solo album...the broken tape ensured that it would not stop and click to the next track :wink:

A Marshall I got at the pawn shop. Had to have a Marshall because that's what all my heros used. I had no idea what any of the knobs did and it sounded like ass.
It went back to the same pawn shop and for some reason they gave me more for than I paid.
It looked like this:
MMA-MG50DFX.JPG

A Marshall I got at the pawn shop. Had to have a Marshall because that's what all my heros used. I had no idea what any of the knobs did and it sounded like ass.
It went back to the same pawn shop and for some reason they gave me more for than I paid.
It looked like this:
MMA-MG50DFX.JPG
I remember those. I considered buying a used one but someone told me they sounded like ass. :wink:

Peavy Backstage 30.

I loaned it out to a friend and never got it back. It was a terrible amp, absolutely no character to its tone at all, but it's still a pisser that people are so irresponsible with the stuff they borrow.

my first "amp" was me rigging up a reel to reel tape deck then thru my stereo and then to the speakers.

my first real guitar amp was a vox ac-30, a 1969 or 1970 IIRC. (that would have been in 1971/72)
i also had a LPB-1 and the two of them with my '68 LP Custom sounded pretty darn good. :thu:

Gorilla 5 watt amp. It was awful. I gave it to a friend when I bought my JC77.

Just like Mark Wein I had a 10-watt Crate practice amp. But about a year or two later, like HelpImaRock!, I replaced it with a Peavey Bandit.

Randall solid state practice amp. No idea what happened to it - probably got thrown out after I moved out.

I don't remember how it sounded. I sounded like shit all by myself.

My first amp was a First Act. I don't remember exctly which model, but it was like this one:

$_57.JPG

I got it in a package deal with a First Act guitar, back when I wanted to try an electric guitar to see if that might be a way I wanted to go. Up until then, I had played only an accoustic. It was the First Act that set me on a more expensive path.

Peavey Rage.

Sold it about 10 years ago.

img_1136.jpg

It didn't do clean or distortion particularly well, but it got me through for a few years while I learned to play.

I had a univox combo. I think it was solid state, I don't remember it that well. I do remember that it had no distortion and sounded very bland. Don't have it, don't miss it, at all. My next amp was a peavey classic 5 2x12 - not like the current classic 50, this one was hybrid tube/solid state. Distortion sounded like ass, didn't care, played the crap out of it loudly. My first amp I owned that I really miss was a jcm800 1x12 combo I picked up in England in the mid 80s. Wish I still had that one.

Back