What was your first amp?

Roland JC-55...my Dad bought it for me at a pawn shop. Wonderful cleans, awesome chorus. Distortion sounded like a weak fart. I'm interested in checking out the new 40.
image.jpeg

I had a Kent solid state amp (ca 1970) it was craptastic! It sounded bad clean, dirty, or anything in between. Of course, my shitty Japanese SG copy may have had something to do with that! My next amp was a Pignose, and it was a huge upgrade!!!

Hohner Panther P20. 3 band EQ, master volume and a switchable gain control. Clean was tolerable at best, dirt was awful. Putting a Boss DS-1 in front of it was infinitely superior which tells you all you need to know about the quality of the dirt sound.

I had one of those baby Gorilla amps when I first started out. I have no idea whatever happened to it.
I bought a Peavey Backstage 30 amp when I was 16 or 17 and gave it to the kid next door when I moved to NH 5 years ago.
Still worked.

My first amp was a home made monstrosity that I bought from the local guitar shop when I was 13 or 14. One of his customers had assembled it and then traded it in on something.

I might have a picture somewhere, but sweet Gebus! It was massive and Fugly.

It consisted of a Traynor Tube Amp Section loaded into the top of an Ampeg 2x15 cabinet. Yup. It was like four feet tall, weighed about a thousand pounds, and was so ludicrously loud that simply turning it on was likely to produce a phone call from a neighbor. It took forever for the tube to heat up, sounded horrible (2x15 1 way drivers... all low end). It was seriously stupid.

That would be the amp that I mentioned in a previous thread about catastrophic failures. When it blew up, it BLEW UP. Magic smoke and shrapnel filled the room. It was so fucking Rock and Roll!

The first amp I remember owning was a Pignose - but not the little portable one. This was a 1 x 12 combo unit I bought in either 1980 or 1981. Probably SS but I really do not remember. I knew nothing about amps at the time. I think I may have a picture with it in the background somewhere but I have not seen one in decades.

OK....it had to be this one. Pignose 30/60. SS Combo.

DSC_9833.jpg

Last edited:
I have no clue about the model or wattage, but it was an old Vox with wicked tremolo and a metal stand. I played my Kay Barney Kessel model through it. :hippie:

Back