What was the "most fun" car you've ever owned.

A tie between my two alfas. The 1971 Berlina and the 1976 Alfetta GT. I drove the GT on the track, and it had longer legs. The Berlina had better, more classic, styling, and always has made me smile.

HvlOaN8.jpg

I have always had utilitarian cars, (the most exciting car I have owned is my current 2006 civic coupe, which is very fun to drive fast) but I have managed to get some immature fun out of a couple of them:

The first new car I bought was a 1988 Ford Festiva. It was not, in any definition, fast or powerful but it handled great. Like OGG's X-19 it was not fast enough to get out of shape...on pavement.

images

This is what mine looked like

When I first moved up to Apple Valley ( the high desert of San Bernardino County), and bought a house we had the option of paying for trash pick-up or hauling to the dump. Choosing to be miserly we decided we (I) would haul every week. In my Festiva, (Heaven forbid we put any trash in the wife's Mustang LX!).

The access road to the dump was dirt, with a mild elevation change and two hairpin turns with drop-offs that were about 30 feet. No guardrail. Perfect for practicing rally turns and even experiencing the danger of possibly rolling the car down an embankment if you got out of shape.

You can, indeed, break the rear wheels loose on a FWD car as long as you are going fast enough, are stupid enough and are on the right surface. Fun right up to the guard shack at the dump, at which time you try to show you were not the one who caused the huge dust cloud, even though the guard saw you coming around the corner sideways with rooster tails of dirt flying off the front wheels of your car (of course in opposite-lock) as you floored the accelerator.

Did I mention how fun it was?

Second was a 1991 Ford Aerostar. I hated that car(?) from the moment my wife insisted we buy it. I don't do trucks, mini-vans or SUV's (unless, of course, the wife insists or the sex drops considerably for the foreseeable future. Being one who likes sex, with women, after a few minutes of discussion I insisted we do as she suggested).

images

Teh Aerobeast in all it's vanilla glory!

Good thing about the Aerostar was that is was rear-wheel drive. While on regular roads this fact did not give me tingles in my man parts, on the dirt roads of the high desert it was cause for much enjoyment of myself and my children.

We never invited or even consulted the wife about this, (remember: I like frequent sex from the wife...). When the kids were, well...kids, I would take them to their friends houses. Most of them lived on dirt roads. This meant that my inner Hannu Mikkola could come out. When we approached the dirt the kids would jump in the back cargo area and start giggling. I would turn to the dirt, gun the van and then try to get the rear-end to step out as much as possible. corners were always a blast.

Oh, why the cargo area? Bumps, big ones and small ones. Did I mention that I would go fast too? Fast and bumps makes for airborne children who are, bhy now, laughing hysterically.

We (the kids and I) still laugh about it today. Just not around the wife, she still has no clue.

Last edited:
well......for flat out rip yer head off top end....my 1971 Torino Cobra, 429 SCJ 4 speed.
but for smoking the corners.....my 1972 Datsun 240 Z.

Not necessarily the fastest, best made, quickest or most reliable, but the MOST FUN?

You know, something you had a blast in every time you drove it?

When I was 18, I bought (co-signed a loan) for a 1985 Mazda RX-7. It was a 5 speed and had the bigger engine and a 4 barrel carb.

It was like driving an overpowered go-cart around.
It had a footrest pedal all the way to the left in the driver's footwell that you could stand on when cornering, like with your ass all the way off the seat, perfectly straight up and down, pushing all your weight down on the front driver's side wheel for better traction.

I almost killed myself in that car numerous times.
But by the grace of GOD am I still alive today.

It wasn't "super fast" (top speed was 117.5 mph). Guess how I know that? :wink:
It was quick, though.
And the handling was absolutely phenomenal.
I would love to get another one someday, just to mess around with and drive around on the weekends.

Mine looked identical to this one.
View attachment 20082

Yep, fire engine red. I think that was the first car I lost my license in, actually.
Shocking, I know.
:lol:

I had some GOOD times in that car.....
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!

RX-7%20600dpi%2002a%201680_zpspvshkhgg.jpg

RX-7%20600dpi%2010%201680_zpsxjroocnc.jpg

1990 Porsche 944 S2 or 1976 Datsun 280Z. The S2 was quick, torquey, comfortable, well made, and fun, but honestly I'd probably give the nod to the Z.

My current 1999 Miata is a hoot, but it's not a good all-rounder like the Z or the S2 were.

Here's the S2 on my last day of ownership.

DSC_0395.jpg

And the Z:

10398447_1176203719808_5239947_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig
A tie between my two alfas. The 1971 Berlina and the 1976 Alfetta GT. I drove the GT on the track, and it had longer legs. The Berlina had better, more classic, styling, and always has made me smile.

Looked through a box and found these old pics of my Alfetta GT. My girlfriend at the time took the pics when I was in the car. Mine is the silver one with 14 painted on the window. These were taken at Seattle International Raceway on a club track day. Man I had fun in that car.

Alfa1.jpg

These I took when I had to take a turn watching corners. This is the back straight, my favorite part of the track. The pics are from the late 80's, probably 88 or 89.

AlfaTrack2.jpg

And of course, here is the Berlina. I am going to hate to sell her.

10384035_10152632072357086_5345048790862918175_n-1_zps9c8da192.jpg~original

Last edited:
Alfa3.jpg

Couple pics of a couple other cars. That red, early 70's kamm tail spider is a car I would like to have some day.

That porsche ended up stuffing dirt up its tailpipes off the downhill hard right before hard left onto the back straight, if I recall correctly. Killed us drivers of little Alfas on the straight (except for a very aggressive GTV6 driver), but had a hard time holding on in the curves.

87 Chevy s-10.

I did a lot of fun things in that between 1988 and 1993.

None of them were directly related to the car, unless you consider the ease of doing them on a front bench seat.
You must be short. I have a 87 S-10 and there is no way to get it done in that thing.

As for the OP, 1969 Roadrunner 440 4sp.
Looked like this one. Bought it the week after I graduated HS.
1969_plymouth_roadrunner_-_vitamin_c_orange_-_fvr.jpg

Reactions: Tig
Ford Festiva (I went through 2 of 'em). Got about a million MPG, and ran forever. Crushed like a tin can if you wrecked 'em, though.

Back