What was the "most fun" car you've ever owned.

Red '82 VW Rabbit with one of those big windshield stickers on it that said "WABBIT."
Got it the summer after my senior year of high school, and I lived in a rural, mountainous region with lots of narrow, winding roads.
It was a 5-speed, and it was quick as hell, and took turns like nobody's business. So much fun driving way too fast on all those mountain roads.

A lot of Porsche fans on here.......

My dad had a '69 Targa but I was too young to drive.
1969_Porsche_911E_Targa_For_Sale_Front_Right_resize.jpg

I did get to drive the '74 914 2.o liter a few times in high school. That was my most fun car to drive and suddenly girls became interested. Um, in me, not the car! Er, right...
5730613585_2453bf80af_o.jpg

Owned: Mazda 6 TSi Hatchback. 2 litre turbo diesel that would go like shit off a shovel and handled really nicely.

Ever driven: Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 on a track day experience package.

BMW5Series-1642_8.jpg

1979 BMW 520

It drank oil, almost caught on fire in the engine bay because everything was loose in there and the carb was spraying gas all over the engine, and it fouled 3 sets of plugs in the 4 months I owned it before I cracked the block.

I had another BMW 525i after that I loved and was unreally fast over the specs that it "should" have had on paper. But this one was just plain fun and cool in a really stripped down simple way. I loved that about it.

Tough call.

I've had a lot of fun cars. The one car out of all of them that was always an absolute blast was my bright yellow 1978 FIAT X1/9 5 speed with the Fuel Injection. Original 13" pizza cutters were replaced with a set of 15x6.5 Enkei mesh wheels wrapped with 195/50/R15 Dunlops, upgraded front and rear sway bars etc.

Not even remotely "fast", but to this day, the most ridiculously nuetral and perfectly balanced car I have ever driven. The grip was outrageous. The car quite literally lacked the power to get out of control. It wasn't slow, but that little engine simply could not trump the handling. I would own another in a heartbeat.

Close runner up: in 1988 while living in Dana Point, I wanted a car I could put surfboards in and take to the beach that I didn't care if it got filled with sand and constantly straifed by incontinent Seagulls.

Drove past a house with a shitty looking 74 Pinto wagon with a for sale sign on it. $400 OBO.

Perfect.

So I go knock on the door, surfer bro opens up and looks like he's halfway through a massive bowl. I ask him about the car. Does it run? Will it pass a smog check? Etc...

"Yeah brah! It runs bitchen! Check this out dude!"

He opens the hood, and there sat, complete with chrome valve covers, a nearly brand spanking new Ford 289. This beast is coupled to a 4 speed manual out of a Mustang. I crap you negative.

He had been trying to sell it for months, and the shitty fuel economy and high gas prices were too much of a turn off I guess.

Anyway, an hour later and $400 lighter in the wallet, I was the proud owner of a faded, mildly rusty, powder blue Pinto Wagon riding on stock tiny wheels and tires and a very tired original suspension, with a fire breathing Dragon under the hood that was attached to what had to be the dead quietest muffler they could find.

Silent but deadly.

That car was outrageous. It could easily smoke the tires right off of the wheels.

Tough call.

I've had a lot of fun cars. The one car out of all of them that was always an absolute blast was my bright yellow 1978 FIAT X1/9 5 speed with the Fuel Injection. Original 13" pizza cutters were replaced with a set of 15x6.5 Enkei mesh wheels wrapped with 195/50/R15 Dunlops, upgraded front and rear sway bars etc.

Not even remotely "fast", but to this day, the most ridiculously nuetral and perfectly balanced car I have ever driven. The grip was outrageous. The car quite literally lacked the power to get out of control. It wasn't slow, but that little engine simply could not trump the handling. I would own another in a heartbeat.

Close runner up: in 1988 while living in Dana Point, I wanted a car I could put surfboards in and take to the beach that I didn't care if it got filled with sand and constantly straifed by incontinent Seagulls.

Drove past a house with a shitty looking 74 Pinto wagon with a for sale sign on it. $400 OBO.

Perfect.

So I go knock on the door, surfer bro opens up and looks like he's halfway through a massive bowl. I ask him about the car. Does it run? Will it pass a smog check? Etc...

"Yeah brah! It runs bitchen! Check this out dude!"

He opens the hood, and there sat, complete with chrome valve covers, a nearly brand spanking new Ford 289. This beast is coupled to a 4 speed manual out of a Mustang. I crap you negative.

He had been trying to sell it for months, and the shitty fuel economy and high gas prices were too much of a turn off I guess.

Anyway, an hour later and $400 lighter in the wallet, I was the proud owner of a faded, mildly rusty, powder blue Pinto Wagon riding on stock tiny wheels and tires and a very tired original suspension, with a fire breathing Dragon under the hood that was attached to what had to be the dead quietest muffler they could find.

Silent but deadly.

That car was outrageous. It could easily smoke the tires right off of the wheels.

That is the definition of a sleeper car right there. I bet drifters would be all over that thing today too.

If we're including 2 wheels, this is my favorite motorcycle I ever owned.

1986 Kawasaki KDX200
Kawasaki%20KDX%20200.jpg

It was an air cooled 2 stroke. I did a lot of trail riding and hill climbing as a teenager, so I had a rear sprocket that had about 10 more teeth than stock.

It topped out at about 65-70 mph, but you go could through all 6 gears as fast as you could shift them. It was actually quite terrifying.

It's a wonder I outlived the motorcycle. :embarrassed:

Reactions: Tig
That is the definition of a sleeper car right there. I bet drifters would be all over that thing today too.
Oh yeah, drifter kids would be all over that thing.

I probably put less than 500 miles in during the 2 years I kept it, but every one of those miles a blast.

Ended up selling it to another surfer brah for $650. :)

Funny enough -- it's my current car (2000 Nissan Altima) five-speed manual w/155 HP. All of my cars have been strictly utilitarian, but that's going to change. As soon as this one dies, I am getting something FUN!

A couple of cars stand out in my mind. The first was a '66 Pontiac GTO. When I was in my sophomore year in college, my parents came to visit, and they made me back up for a picture. Just before they snapped the picture, they told me I was standing in front of my "new" car. It had a 351 ci engine and a 4 barrel carburator (that's the thing that used to . . . never mind :grin:). I got it in the 70's when smaller cars were coming out, and there was an onramp to the freeway that started as 2 lanes, then narrowed down to 1 before you got on the freeway. Well, the smaller cars only looked at my car as a big ol' boat that they could easily go around. I'd let them get right up along side of me, then I'd wave and put my foot down. I wish I could have seen all the faces of the folks I left in the dust. :eek:

This is not a picture of my car, because I never did get any pictures from my wife when we divorced. It does look exactly like my car, though.
1966YellowPontiacGTO-2.jpg
1966YellowPontiacGTO-1.jpg

The second was a 1994 BMW 318i that I bought used from my brother. 5-speed manual transmission with great pickup, and it cornered like a dream. Cruising at interstate speeds was pretty smooth, too. Again, I don't have the exact pics of my car, (lost those in a robbery) but this is pretty close. Mine actually had a small spoiler on the back.
835E6D6C-D508-47F2-98C3-6882152F7677_1.jpg

Last edited:
Mentioned this in another thread
Something that looks like this (pic is not mine). A blast to drive with double wishbone suspension and enough power for me. I've never been over 120 with it (top speed is about 130 IIRC). And it didn't cost and arm and a leg
imgsize.php

The nicest car I've driven would be this. It was a friends and he let me borrow it for a weekend (again not the actual car just a representative picture)
ferrari_348_spider_large_28515.jpg

yeah he was very well off...this was one of several cars he had including a Lambo, a Vector, a Lotus among others...all yellow etc for the Red Testarossa he had

Wow, I started a thread which has gone 2 pages, and no one has called anyone a fucktard, a loser, a retard, a moron, etc.....

I must be losing my touch.

That, or we all have a soft spot for old cars from our past.
:wink:

Wow, I started a thread which has gone 2 pages, and no one has called anyone a fucktard, a loser, a retard, a moron, etc.....

STFU n00b!

You're a fucktard, loser, retarded moron. :mad:

87 Chevy s-10.

I did a lot of fun things in that between 1988 and 1993.

None of them were directly related to the car, unless you consider the ease of doing them on a front bench seat.

Back