What was the best investment you've ever made on gear?

My Mesa. I got a crazy great deal on it and it's truly become "my sound."

As for guitars, probably my Dot. I traded an amp that I wasn't using that I had next to nothing into and it's really served me well for a while now. I literally have about $40 into that guitar.

I'm really happy with all my gear right now. It's hard to say what the best investment is but I can't imagine getting tired of my Gretsch branded Victoria amp.
There's been a lot of stuff that didn't stick around for long but I can't really say what was the worst.

Last edited:
Best is my Dano Convertible. I've never spent a dime on setup or maintenance and it has played great since I first took it out of the box 15 years ago.

Worst is a tie between a Gibson SG and Fender Blues Deluxe. Garbage that I took a bath on when I finally couldn't stand them any longer.

My Mesa. I got a crazy great deal on it and it's truly become "my sound."

As for guitars, probably my Dot. I traded an amp that I wasn't using that I had next to nothing into and it's really served me well for a while now. I literally have about $40 into that guitar.

I played a Rectoverb for years and loved it... you may hate me after Pragestock and playing through my Orange. :helper:

man, Howie...I really wish I could get you to play my SG...it is such a great guitar.
I think you'd like it

investment? no idea...but it plays like mastubating, it feels that good.

now, granted, I've only played maybe 4 other SGs in my life.
and they all played like shit

I guess I found the Golden Ticket. :wink:

Reactions: Tig
man, Howie...I really wish I could get you to play my SG...it is such a great guitar.
I think you'd like it

investment? no idea...but it plays like mastubating, it feels that good.

now, granted, I've only played maybe 4 other SGs in my life.
and they all played like shit

I guess I found the Golden Ticket. :wink:

I'd try it.... but don't be offended if I didn't like it. I've played 5 or 6 SGs in my life and hated all of them. The last one even tainted my like of a 24 fret PRS I had... all of mine have 22 frets now so they're less "SG-like" :annoyed:

Best bang for the buck is my 97 strat plus deluxe. It's the gold standard that everything else gets judged. I paid $400 or $475, don't remember exactly.
These are my favorite Strats of all time. If my taste in neck size hadn't changed over the years, I'd still own one.

I'd try it.... but don't be offended if I didn't like it. I've played 5 or 6 SGs in my life and hated all of them. The last one even tainted my like of a 24 fret PRS I had... all of mine have 22 frets now so they're less "SG-like" :annoyed:
like I said, this is the only one I've ever liked.
there were a few that I seriously considered smashing at the time (even though they weren't mine)

but this one...man...this one is glorious.

and I can see it being that way for me, but not others, of course.
Gary Coleman and all, right?

I played a Rectoverb for years and loved it... you may hate me after Pragestock and playing through my Orange. :helper:

Oh, I already know that I'll love your Orange :grin: For my stuff, the Rockerverb is pretty dead even with my single rec, just somewhat different. I don't really use the clean channel. :embarrassed:

Oh, I already know that I'll love your Orange :grin: For my stuff, the Rockerverb is pretty dead even with my single rec, just somewhat different. I don't really use the clean channel. :embarrassed:

The clean channel + Pinnacle Deluxe is like a whole different amp, still awesome... but different, than the high gain channel. :baimun:

Best in terms of resale is definitely the Marshall JCM 800 2203 head that I paid $360 for, and sold a year later for $800.

My Classic 30 was $200, and I've played hundreds of gigs with it, so that's a pretty good investment too.

it bothers me that someone would use a word that could be an adjective for the name of a product

orange what?!?

hey, you wanna check out my Harder?

ffs...

then again, I'm drunk, so...

Hard to say what the best was, but another thread just reminded me of what a killer deal I got on my Ovation from a desperate craigslister. Easily the best $150 I ever spent. I LOVE IT.

Worst was probably the Gibson Les Paul Custom I eventually had to return because it was such a raging piece of shit. For starters, the "gold" hardware began to loose its plating within a day of bringing it home. It was down hill from there.

Gibson blamed the composition of my sweat and refused to warranty it.

Seriously.

But Guitar Center took care of me anyway.

Go figure.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

it bothers me that someone would use a word that could be an adjective for the name of a product

orange what?!?...

orangeamp.jpg

I bought this years ago for about 150 bucks. It's been my go-to guitar on-and-off for years-
Gear 2010 015.jpg

Back