Question: what to see / do inNew York?

I’ve been in town this week and mostly enjoyed walking around my old haunts. If you haven’t been before definitely check out the big art museums. MoMA tends to be crowded, but the Met is massive so there’s plenty of quiet space. Eat at some good restaurants downtown or in Brooklyn (food above 23rd street tends to be meh).

Metropolitan Museum of Art

This is a must. I think I could spend a week there! I would add Katz's Deli, Yonah Shimmel's Knish Bakery (just a couple of blocks from Katz's). If you're in Midtown, check out Zucker's Bagels & Smoked Fish. And you HAVE to spend a few hours walking around Central Park.

Last time I was in New York we would get up and go out about 9:embarrassed:0 a.m. and start looking for a place to eat lunch. Then we would drive around looking for a parking space. Usually we would find one about 1- 1:30. We'd eat lunch then go looking for a place to eat dinner. Find a place and drive around until 7:30- 8:embarrassed:0 looking for a parking place. Then we would head back to where we were staying and drive around looking for a parking space. Usually found one by midnight.

Second day same as the first, only a little bit longer and a little bit worse.

If you pick your resturants in different neighborhoods you can see a whole lot of the town just driving around looking for parking spaces.
here's another thing to do in new york: not drive. Seriously, take the train.

^^^^^^ Reading this as I load my car for rehearsal all the way downtown on 27th St..... :(

It's true, though, don't drive here. Frankly, it's not so much the driving as it is the parking, or lack thereof these days. :mad:

even more than the avoidance-of-hassle reason for not driving (although that's plenty reason to not drive), I think that if you're visiting as a tourist from a town with less of a public transit system and culture than new york has - take the train for fun, as part of the experience. look before you sit and don't engage with crazy and it's a good thing.

Ive no intention of driving.

I got some plans going today:

Jersey boys
Staten ferry
Park
Some skybar on wikitravel that looks over the park
Etc
Walk over the Brooklyn bridge back into the city
See starry night at moms

Were meeting up with a lady ive spoke to online for around half my life (scary thought) for dinner at arturos (Greenwich village I think?) and drinks.

Starting to take shape.

Mind you there's about a 50% chance the weather is going to be total shit. Of course you're used to that.

Since you are going to be in Lower Manhattan check out South Street Seaport.

Mind you there's about a 50% chance the weather is going to be total shit. Of course you're used to that.

Like it is right now. Which is why my flight was canceled and I’m still here, stuck in a hotel room with two little kids.

I've friends who have seen "Jersey Boys" and enjoyed it greatly. That kind of Broadway musical is not my taste. "American in Paris" is supposed to have superb dancing.

"Something Rotten" has had good things said about it.

"The Humans" and "Heisenberg" both sound good for straight plays.

When we're in NYC, we'll try and see one play that has a star in it, and usually something Off-Off Broadway that looks good.

Back