What to do with my Ibanez Jem…

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I don’t know if I posted this here or not(I posted on Jemsite)… but I don’t know if I should keep my Ibanez Jem777DY. Here’s a bit of background on it… this was the guitar that I first saw in 1989 that I ever gassed for… it was the guitar that made me want to start playing guitar. I finally got this one a few years ago when my wife surprised me with a meet and greet with Steve Vai. I brought the guitar and he signed it.

That being said, I don’t really ever play it. And when I do, it doesn’t blow me away. I’ve thought of replacing the pickups to give it a more modern sound, but that’s money I would never recoup. Most days it just sits on it’s stand.

I was thinking of selling it and getting a Jem7vwh… or a Suhr Modern Satin… if I bought the Jem VWH, I would still have a bit of cash left over. Or I could just get another Music Man…. No harm in that. Music Man makes my favorite guitars right now.

What would you do?

Unless you need the cash, I would keep it. You have plenty of guitars (do you really need another?) and that one has some meaning to you.

Sell it. Put the money aside and use it when a guitar you really want and will really play pops up for sale. Unless having the Vai sig'd guitar has a lot of sentimental value to you no sense in keeping a guitar that you are not going to play.

If you're asking the question, then the guitar is as good as gone. Usually, by the time I think about selling something, or think something is expendable, then the next [immediate] thought is...OK so what to buy next? Seems like steps 1 and 2 are complete, on to the next one...

I will trade you a tele for it...

413610_10151016488623360_1271094247_o.jpg

It osunds like the guitar is a dust collector for you. Normally, I'd say you should sell it, but you have to balance how sentimental it is to you (considering how both your wife and Steve Vai are connected to the guitar). The other thing to consider, is that since it is a 1989 JEM 777, it's possibly becoming collectible.

Keep it. Your wife helped you get it signed and it's a cool memento, even if you only pull it out occasionally.

I think your hesitation sounds like it's connected to the signature, and your wife arranging the meeting with Steve Vai. If you're not playing it, take it off the stand, and hang it on the wall. You've got plenty of other guitars, so this is one you can display and make a statement of appreciation to your wife at the same time.

Keep it. Jems of that era are kind of rare, and unmolested examples might be collector's items someday. As you have some emotional attachment, I'd just tuck it away in the case and keep it in good shape.

Keep it, put some fresh strings on it, and make a conscious decision to play it more. Three guitars down the road from it, you'll wish you had never sold it.

Yeah, you'll probably end up sleeping on the couch if you sell it. Should you decide to risk that, what would you want for it?

Sell it and buy what you want that day.
No reason to hold on to a guitar you don't like.

Back