What should I look for in a hi-hat stand?

Chicken Man

Kick Henry Jackassowski
My mandolin player just started bringing in his Porchboard to give us a bass drum sound, and I'm thinking of getting a high-hat to counterpoint it. Actually, I'm looking at getting a high-hat stand with a tambourine on it. I'll probably go used, but want something decent, having played shit drums before. It'll endure a lot of jostling (I'm not seeing myself getting a road bag for it, so it'll be packed loose in my trunk for gigs). I can eyeball cheap pipe, but don't know how the mechanisms work so I don't know what to look for. Brand names won't help a ton, as I'm going used.

As a non-drummer who owns two drumsets I'd have to say to watch out for any stripped or worn hardware more than anything else.

Skip anything from the cheapo brans (Trax and similar garbage). Fairly cheap and solid, Gibraltar is a good option.
Known quality is stuff like Yamaha and Tama. Personally I loathe Pearl hardware.

For durabilty, make sure the legs are double braced. Also, Tama Road Pro hardware is very durable, so if you can find a used Tama Road Pro stand, definitely go for it. Also, if you are planning on a single pedal for the bass, then a 3-legged stand is fine, but if you are considering a double pedal on the kit, then look for a 2-legged stand. That gives you more room to fit the extra pedal in. Most basic stands - as long as they are durable - will be fine, but you can get stands that will allow you to adjust the tension of the pedal. Since you're going used, just make sure you look at the rod to make sure it's not bent.

Back