what living guitarist would you want to write/jam with?

Saint touched on the idea of it being limiting that we're only looking at guitarists. But I'm totally with you. Most of guys I picked were players that I think about as song guys that happen to play guitar and the "jamming" would hopefully be more creative than an E blues. Frisell might be the exception, in that it would be awesome to jam over tunes with him, but more like the Lennon, Dylan, Young, etc. songs that he makes his own as opposed to jazz standards (at which I more than shit than other stuff).

Thing about Frisell is that he's the wizard at making other people look good. Ideal accompanist.

warren haynes for sure ...
13315709_10209373462198665_1371598964731449663_n.jpg

Jeez! There's lots of guitarists that I'd love to sit down and listen to play. Sorta having them play while hanging and having a few beers. But jam with? Write with? Man, I'm so feeble compared to these guys it wouldn't be any fun for them or me. At best it would be them giving me a bit of a lesson and some sage advice.

"I get annoyed by the single songwriter credit on band albums, with Sting being the biggest target of my ire in this area." I used to agree until I was fortunate enough to know and work with people who had six figure+ sales of those quaint artifacts, albums (CD and vinyl). It changes once you start looking at quarterly checks that can pay off a mortgage. Sonny boy likes to do blow, bang Loyola Marymount chicks in the last stall at the Viper Room, and drift in to the recording session at 3pm and drift out at 8? (not that this is, cough, based on any actual persons living or living in Florida). You tell me how the obsessive songwriting band member's credit should be shared equally. Also, I have passing knowledge of Andy Summers, I don't think he got stiffed anywhere, and neither does he.

Keith and Mick, where do you start cataloging the sins? When it comes to songwriting credits, you start with Allen B. Klein. Before I get some C&D letter from one of his heirs' attorneys, just please do a Google search. At one point they literally had the gall to list themselves as the authors of Robert Johnson's songs they covered. One wonders if that would have happened when Brian Jones was alive.

I know a bunch of the other people mentioned in this thread - is it cool to drop names and/or gossip? I'll say this, Britt Daniel is such a damn decent person that I'm still embarrassed by my memories of working with him. Good God, what a good person.

Also, I have passing knowledge of Andy Summers, I don't think he got stiffed anywhere, and neither does he.

Actually Summers was massively vocal about Sting letting P Diddy use Every Breath You Take, specifically his guitar part. He said he was never asked and most certainly never received a single cent from the huge hit that resulted from that sampling. Sting certainly did, but it didn't trickle down.

Also, it's okay if Andy doesn't his HUGE contributions to Sting's songs when he was in the Police. I got his back. He and Stewart were at least half of what made the Police great (giving Gordon more credit given the heavy lifting on the initial songwriting front, in addition to lead vocals and bass duties). Similarly, the band on Sting's first two solo albums contributed quite a bit to those songs...and several of those guys were a bit bitter about their experience with Sting (in fairness, part of it was about not being enough of the creative process in addition to not being enough credit for what they did contribute).

Actually Summers was massively vocal about Sting letting P Diddy use Every Breath You Take, specifically his guitar part. He said he was never asked and most certainly never received a single cent from the huge hit that resulted from that sampling. Sting certainly did, but it didn't trickle down.

Also, it's okay if Andy doesn't his HUGE contributions to Sting's songs when he was in the Police. I got his back. He and Stewart were at least half of what made the Police great (giving Gordon more credit given the heavy lifting on the initial songwriting front, in addition to lead vocals and bass duties). Similarly, the band on Sting's first two solo albums contributed quite a bit to those songs...and several of those guys were a bit bitter about their experience with Sting (in fairness, part of it was about not being enough of the creative process in addition to not being enough credit for what they did contribute).

I was going to mention the PDiddy song too. Andy was furious about that.

It would be cool to know who wrote the bulk of the REM catalog (if it was heavily favored to any one person), as their sharing with their mates is to be commended. I did notice that the last album (at least) credited the tunes to just Buck and Stipe.

All four original members wrote- Bill Berry is acknowledged as having written "Perfect Circle" from Murmur, and Mills wrote "Don't Go Back To Rockville" from Reckoning, just to name two.

I was an obsessive REM fan in high school, and at one time had a tape of early studio outtakes that included some studio chatter- Mike Mills was definitely the bandleader in those sessions.

As to what guitarist I'd want to write/jam with, Neil Young (electric). It'd be fun to jam with him, but I'd be just as happy to chunk out rhythm guitar and watch him do his thing.

One of my first reactions would be to say Mike Ness, but scuttlebutt is he's kinda a douche. Steve Jones from the Pistols/Professionals seems very cool. The guys in Rancid, for sure, I've spoken on the phone with Lars and he was cool despite having to wake up while on tour to do an interview. And of course my hometown bros Tom Petty and Mike Campbell. And speaking of hometowners, adopted Gainesvillian Laura Jane Grace, she seems very cool (we've interacted a couple times on facebook) and Crash Pad even played a show with against me! long ago (technically speaking, they opened for us, haha) when she was Tom Gabel.

Michael "Mickey" Melchiondo, Jr., otherwise known as Dean Ween. When I first discovered Ween I mistook his style for sloppy guitar work. I would love to spend a day jamming with him and writing some tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy did some stuff with a friend for Google a few years back, and the only remark I heard about Sting was "he made me rich!" followed by laughter.

Regarding credit, most musicians over a certain age don't see it as creativity, they see it as theft, and I suppose I am a bit agist in that I tune such things out. It's like Keith Richards talking smack (oops, poor choice of words ....) about rap: well, of course he ain't gon' get it. It's neither for nor about him.

On a more serious note, I think I'd enjoy about 5 minutes of jamming with Johnny Marr, before I wished to run away and put my head in the oven. I love his playing.

One of my first reactions would be to say Mike Ness, but scuttlebutt is he's kinda a douche. Steve Jones from the Pistols/Professionals seems very cool. The guys in Rancid, for sure, I've spoken on the phone with Lars and he was cool despite having to wake up while on tour to do an interview. And of course my hometown bros Tom Petty and Mike Campbell. And speaking of hometowners, adopted Gainesvillian Laura Jane Grace, she seems very cool (we've interacted a couple times on facebook) and Crash Pad even played a show with against me! long ago (technically speaking, they opened for us, haha) when she was Tom Gabel.

All good choices. I used to work right down the street from Laura's house in St Augustine. I think she was in transition then. I bet if you were jamming with Ness he would be pretty cool.

I am going Paul McCartney. Multi-instrument, I know. But he is an excellent guitarist. I figure I could learn a lot writing with him.

If it has to be a person known primarily as holding a guitar live,I will go Jeff Lynne

Either way , I learn a lot of music business, a lot of songwriting, arranging, producing and prob hear some good stories as I do my best to balance out all the good work they would be doing in our collaboration with some good old fashioned awkwardness and ineptness.

Back