what living guitarist would you want to write/jam with?

So, by that logic, Sting does deserve full writing credit, no?

"The demo of the song was recorded in an eight-track suite in North London's Utopia studios and featured Sting singing over a Hammond organ. A few months later he presented the song to the other band members when they reconvened at George Martin's AIR Studios in Montserrat to work on the Synchronicity album."

Nope. As s working member of an established band (or even as a "solo" artist with a specific backing backing band he selected for their skills and abilities), a band through which he filters his "demos" which I'll call incomplete and unfinished songs, and then using the special skills of those band members to make his music something more than he was capable of doing on his own puts said band members into the creative mix and therefore should afford them a percentage of the songwriting credit and publishing royalties as I have previously stated and am continuing to state in this sentence that I will not end until now.

You're not talking about widely known show tunes and similar such tunes of the standards songbook. These "songs" are in their infancy and likely to bloom or crumble under the process of being worked with a band. They have yet to be released and the collaborators have no established piece from which to work...they are part of the songwriting process.

Obviously we can go back and forth, but it's not going to get us anywhere outside of overly long posts by me. I don't think anyone really wants that.:thu:

I'd much rather collaborate with another singer/songwriter toward a specific end of generating new collaborative material than I would enjoy jamming with someone who is primarily another guitarist.

Beyond all the obvious hero worship stuff, I could definitely see something interesting or enjoyable coming from a collaboration with any number of performers in the kind of club scale indie acts that I listen to. In particular, I could see working with Kip from Pains of Being Pure at Heart or Roxanne from Veronica Falls.

I have no answer to this question, but am interested in the side discussion. What constitutes a song? Is it the tune and words? Where does the arrangement come in? When I do covers, people may tell me, "That isn't how the song goes." I reply, "Don't confuse the song with the arrangement." My views are my own, but I like seeing the differing views on this question.

I was thinking more about his 2 solo releases. I don't think he wrote any songs on the King is Dead, they just had him play.
I really, really, . . . really loved those sounds on that album. Reckoning and LRP are still my favs, and that Decemberists album brought back those sounds in a really tasteful way IMO.

I really, really, . . . really loved those sounds on that album. Reckoning and LRP are still my favs, and that Decemberists album brought back those sounds in a really tasteful way IMO.

I hadn't heard of the Decemberists until that album. A buddy of mine loved them, so he brought it in for me to listen to knowing that I loved REM. HE didn't tell me Peter was on it, and after I listened to the first song with him on it, I told him their guitar player does the best Buck impression I have ever heard.

I hadn't heard of the Decemberists until that album. A buddy of mine loved them, so he brought it in for me to listen to knowing that I loved REM. HE didn't tell me Peter was on it, and after I listened to the first song with him on it, I told him their guitar player does the best Buck impression I have ever heard.
Yep, my experience was similar. Then I read the notes on who was playing.

I have no answer to this question, but am interested in the side discussion. What constitutes a song? Is it the tune and words? Where does the arrangement come in? When I do covers, people may tell me, "That isn't how the song goes." I reply, "Don't confuse the song with the arrangement." My views are my own, but I like seeing the differing views on this question.

Words, tune, and basic structure.

Arrangements and performances are frosting. The song is the cake. Which is not to say that many people don't pass off arrangements or performances as songs.

I'd much rather collaborate with another singer/songwriter toward a specific end of generating new collaborative material than I would enjoy jamming with someone who is primarily another guitarist.

Saint touched on the idea of it being limiting that we're only looking at guitarists. But I'm totally with you. Most of guys I picked were players that I think about as song guys that happen to play guitar and the "jamming" would hopefully be more creative than an E blues. Frisell might be the exception, in that it would be awesome to jam over tunes with him, but more like the Lennon, Dylan, Young, etc. songs that he makes his own as opposed to jazz standards (at which I more than shit than other stuff).

Thing is, we really haven't written together. One song got a full re-write before our last gig as a quartet. And we've only written one new song as a trio. We're working on another now, and maybe we'll have a third later this year. It's slow, but I'm happy with the results.
I look forward to hearing it. Without pressuring, I anticipate some pretty cool things. I guess saying I have confidence in you two.

Thing is, we really haven't written together. One song got a full re-write before our last gig as a quartet. And we've only written one new song as a trio. We're working on another now, and maybe we'll have a third later this year. It's slow, but I'm happy with the results.

Gather 'round children and we'll make you squirm
Cuz we're singing songs about tompetty's worm
It's greasy and it's wiggly and it's undersized
But the things it can do...lord, you'll be surprised
It tastes like spaghetti-os and pigeon jerky
And if you treat it nice it'll get real perky
So grab you some Crisco and don't be shy
But you better wear goggles to protect your eyes

Oh-oh collaboration
Wasting our time, our educations
Give us your money or we'll vote for Trump
We're playing next week at some hipster dump

I look forward to hearing it. Without pressuring, I anticipate some pretty cool things. I guess saying I have confidence in you two.

I would love to record this band because the material is so strong. That'll have to wait though.

Gather 'round children and we'll make you squirm
Cuz we're singing songs about tompetty's worm
It's greasy and it's wiggly and its undersized
But the things it can do...lord, you'll be surprised
It tastes like spaghetti-is and pigeon jerky
And if you treat it nice it'll get real perky
So grab you some Crisco and don't be shy
But you better wear goggles to protect your eyes

Oh-oh collaboration
Wasting our time, our educations
Give us your money or we'll vote for Trump
We're playing next week at some hipster dump

If we do record, you get a writing credit.

"All we ever get in these mallways of our lives are ritual simulations and scenic Sunday drives."

Back