What kind of food were you raised on?

DdBob's favorite.

Oddly enough I do remember having a few of those in the early 70's the ones you had to cook in the oven with the alunimun foil. I also remember those fold out "tv trays" but that shit was rare.

Mom was corn raised in Illinoise so we had home made food mainly at least until the mid 1980's. Casseroles, fried chicken, also steaks, hot dogs, hamburgers. KFC was consumed on many a picnic. Also we used to eat out at mexican restuarants and as young as I can rmember I would dive right into the salsa, tacos, enchiladas.

But mainly it was 'mericana midwest type home cooking one would expect in the 1970's early 80's.

Whatever my mom could it together that could feed about 10 people.

With 7 kids and usually a friend or two, my mom was like a mess cook.
It was a problem when the older sibKings moved out. She had a hard time cooking smaller meals. She got it eventually. The nice thing was that n the later years my dad was bringing home more money and there were less mouths to feed. We ate a lot of steak. A lot. Too much, actually. I got tired of it.

Earlier years involved a lot of pasta, dishes with ground beef, and I remember a lot of canned potatoes for some reason.
One of my favourite dishes when I was a kid was Spanish rice. Basically, it was just meat sauce with rice instead of spaghetti. I didn't like the spicy stuff then.

My mom was a pretty good cook, so I can't complain. In fact, I probably got my love of cooking from her. Back in the day when flank steak was considered a cheap cut, she would whip up some pretty mean dishes.

Ok Teddy, aka Chuck Peligroso, what about YOU?

My mom was a pretty good cook, so I can't complain. In fact, I probably got my love of cooking from her. Back in the day when flank steak was considered a cheap cut, she would whip up some pretty mean dishes.

Ok Teddy, aka Chuck Peligroso, what about YOU?

Standard 80s and 90s American fare with prolonged health food interludes depending on whatever Dr. ____ book my mother was reading.

Well, yeah. NOW.
When I was a kid, salsa was an unknown.

Oh, and Kraft Dinner was a staple.

Not in Arizona bro. I remember eating chips and salsa at the mexican restaurants but we lived in Ajo, AZ in the early 70's and it's only like 20 miles from the mexican border :embarrassed: I also vaguely remember mom bringing home regular (not nacho cheese) doritos and possibly Pace salsa from the store but perhaps the salsa is some bogus memory, I know the doritos were real at least :embarrassed:

I had two distinct types of food growing up. Parents divorced and dad moved to Montana. Mom had her repertoire and dad and his wife had theirs.

Mom cooked pot roast, hamburgers, creamed tuna, meatloaf, hamloaf (yummm), something she called welsh rarebit: melted cheese over english muffins with bacon bits on top.
She didn't like veggies except maybe squash. Rice or potatoes on the side. Sometimes a bowl of applesause on the side.

Dad cooked game meat shot during the previous hunting season. Dear, elk, antelope. Spaghetti (James Beard recipe, which I got him to write down the recipe [thank GOD]) His wife cooked fried chicken, tacos. We'd go camping and fishing a lot then and often ate trout, bass, perch or koho salmon.

As a teen, I used to SCUBA dive and brought home a lot of seafood: abalone (it was the 70s), scallops, assorted fish. Mom hated seafood and never partook.

Reactions: Tig
I had two distinct types of food growing up. Parents divorced and dad moved to Montana. Mom had her repertoire and dad and his wife had theirs.

Mom cooked pot roast, hamburgers, creamed tuna, meatloaf, hamloaf (yummm), something she called welsh rarebit: melted cheese over english muffins with bacon bits on top.
She didn't like veggies except maybe squash. Rice or potatoes on the side. Sometimes a bowl of applesause on the side.

Dad cooked game meat shot during the previous hunting season. Dear, elk, antelope. Spaghetti (James Beard recipe, which I got him to write down the recipe [thank GOD]) His wife cooked fried chicken, tacos. We'd go camping and fishing a lot then and often ate trout, bass, perch or koho salmon.

As a teen, I used to SCUBA dive and brought home a lot of seafood: abalone (it was the 70s), scallops, assorted fish. Mom hated seafood and never partook.
First mention of seafood here. Are all the Weiners culinary midwesterners?

My mom wasn't much of a cook. I was always sort of jealous when my friends would be able to have Stouffers frozen mac an cheese dinners and such. Lol

Once in a while she would make Mexican food and we'd be happy, or when one of my aunts would come in from Colorado and they'd make tamales from scratch, that was heavenly.

You usually could not get the right ingredients in rust belt PA back in the days before internet shops. Of course as a youngster without a Crystal ball to see the future you just took it for granted that 99.5% of the time food was gonna suck, and if you had luck you could stay over at your aunts place for a large part of the summer.

Oh!!! I forgot to mention my 17th year where my dad (post divorce I lived with him for a while) stayed at his out of town girlfriends place most of the time. He would make me a large pot of spaghetti with meat sauce at the beginning of the week and leave it in the fridge for me to microwave whenever I got hungry. I pretty much survived on that, club crackers with open pit barbecue sauce and school lunches for that entire year at my home address.

Casseroles, Hamburger Helper, Popeye spinach, corned beef hash from a can (my memory tells me it was awesome, somehow I doubt it), breakfast for dinner was a big treat.
Cubed steaks, white rice, and lima beans was once a week and I loved it. Still do.
My mom's chicken casserole is the requested birthday/holiday dish by all family members to this day.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Mom waited tables in fine dining, but Dad was running a struggling small business. So we ate a lot of "Midwestern ethnic"--enchiladas (with flour tortillas), fried rice, stir fry, spanish rice, etc. Various health kicks and cooking classes rolled through, and some left lasting impressions--tortellini came up once a week for a decade--and my dad got into grilling. No casseroles, no canned food, and no hot dogs.

Back