What is the worst musical gear related purchase or trade you have ever done?

Interesting. What didn't you like about the Carvin? From my experience, they play well and sounds pretty good. I only sold mine because they felt stiff

The wood was fine, it was everything else. The hardware was shit, the wiring was sloppy, and overall I just didn't like it. Bought for $800, sold for $600.

Ditto I that.

However if you still had it, it could be modded and the death cap taken out of circuit as well. Mod is just cord and some soldering
This was about 1993-94, before I even knew of the mod and history of Fender amps. I had an old Super Champ that was my main guy.

Way back when I didn't know any better, I bought an Indiana guitar that was an Ovation copy off Craigslist. I bought it at a neutral site and totally missed the warped soundboard. Fortunately, I didn't pay much, but it was money just thrown away.

I also bought a powered mixer, years ago, and didn't realize how much better things could have been until I recently upgraded to a mixer and power amps.

Oh, and I passed on a Roland J-120, and bought a Behringer V-ampire half stack instead, for the effects that it had. thwap0

Some kind of cassette recorder from Musicians Friend that was supposed to be used for my guitar practice. I lost the instructions and couldn't get it to work. I also bought a mike stand that was defective. I was incredibly depressed and didn't do anything about it.

This was about 1993-94, before I even knew of the mod and history of Fender amps. I had an old Super Champ that was my main guy.

I too did something similar, I traded for a Champ II. Then sold the Champ II later and it was great sounding.

Some real POS Encore electro acoustic I picked up not long after I started playing. Didn't know enough at the time to realise that the neck had been repaired (badly at that). Wasn't a huge amount of money but I stripped a few bits off and did a Pete Townshend impression with it.

Ordering a guitar from Hello Music because it was listed well below the average price. I waited forever (even though it was listed as "in stock" when I ordered). They would not cancel the sale or let me buy something else from them with the money because it was "special ordered". I ended up buying the same guitar elsewhere as I needed it for a gig, then selling the HM guitar at a slight loss when it finally arrived. :annoyed:

I left behind a 60's Magnatone amp at a house I moved from because I thought I had no use for it. Dumb.

Selling my 1970s Tobacco Sunburst Gibson Les Paul Signature (less than 100 were made), to buy a "more metal" guitar, when I graduated college. I got sick of the guitar I bought (a Gibson Q4000) within a couple of years - it was nowhere near as unique, or flexible sound-wise, as my old Les Paul Signature.

I bought a Fender Cybertwin when they first came out. Paid about $1200 for it. Sold it for about $600 a couple of years later, and was happy to be rid of it.

I bought a Fender Cybertwin when they first came out. Paid about $1200 for it. Sold it for about $600 a couple of years later, and was happy to be rid of it.
The CyberTwin sounded cold and sterile. The CyberDeluxe actually sounded decent. It was really weird.

The CyberTwin sounded cold and sterile. The CyberDeluxe actually sounded decent. It was really weird.

It was my first modelling amp, and I think the knobs that actually turned themselves when you switched patches sold me on buying it.

Then Lino bought a Vox Valvetronix and it sounded so much better than the Cybertwin that I was disgusted every time I played it.

Back