What is at the top of your "unobtainium" list?

GreatDane

"up yours, baby."
you know; that guitar or piece of musical gear that you lust over, but will likely never be able to acquire - because it's 1 of 1 and already belongs to someone (like "old black") or because out of your price range (like a real '59 Les Paul), etc.

i think at the top of the list for me is probably a '54 Les Paul Goldtop. i have seen a few beautiful examples for sale, but at prices i would never be able to justify. so i keep dreaming... and playing my reissue :wink:.

the "real thing":

3526_p46301.jpg

my reissue:

w96GibsonR4-007.jpg

how about you?

Reactions: Tig
Matchless amps....I like three or four models a lot....but the price tags far exceed my modest music budget.

What is funny is that while I was at Scumback Speakers Monday morning I got to play Jim's (the owner) '54 Goldtop that he had turned into a more functional instrument with a compensated wrap tail and higher frets. Best LP I've ever played. I think that would be it for me.

About any Gibson, Gretsch or Ric I'd actually want. I just can't bring myself to spend money like that on what is, for me, a toy. Would love to have a nice 330 or Les Paul or a Country Gent but it ain't gonna happen.

Better, faster, longer, more musical fingers.

A non-master volume Marshall, and somewhere to turn it up loud. (If I put my mind to it, I could save up for the amp.)

Probably a Rhodes electric piano or a Hammond B-3 with the Leslie. I'd never buy either, because my keyboard chops are minimal, and it'd be embarrassing to own such a great-sounding instrument just to pluck away at it with two fingers.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'd prefer the acoustics, obviously, but I wanted to contribute for the electric junkies.

1) David Rubio... Sadly, he's dead, and probably won't be building any more. I have one of his regular classicals, and it's a gorgeous instrument and I'm never goung to get sell it. The 8-string with the box, though... Check out Paul Galbraith. His sound is totally massive and pianistic.

2) Manzer. Enough said.

3) Klein

4) Ferrington

I'd also like a Lloyd Loar-signed F5 mandolin.

Probably a Rhodes electric piano or a Hammond B-3 with the Leslie. I'd never buy either, because my keyboard chops are minimal, and it'd be embarrassing to own such a great-sounding instrument just to pluck away at it with two fingers.

If we're going to play that game, then I'd like a string quartet of Stradivari instruments: 2 violins, 1 viola, 1 cello.

A Ric 4003, an SVT-CL with twin 8x10 cabs, and a house on a big plot of land in the mountains. Of course all of that actually is obtainable, so how about a Gil Yaron bone?

Ibanez 2670. There's three on Ebay now. One is $6400, one is $6570, one is $10,000. It's heavy, impractical, utterly ludicrous for my needs but I've wanted one since before I played guitar (that goes back to what, age 8 and I'm 50+ now? Ugh!) The reissues are lighter than the originals but the $6570 priced one has the pearl tuners and suregrip knobs.

Who am I kidding? It's crazy to consider it. Last thing I need is a doubleneck.

Probably a vintage J-45 or J-200 to scratch my large bodied acoustic itch. A Loar F5 would be the sweetest steal though, because there's no way it'll ever actually happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've seen a few Maton Custom Shop acoustics that were wicked nice, but waaaaay out of my price range.
Gorgeous instruments, though. Drop dead gorgeous.

I'd like to find a deal on a CS Gibson hollow-body jazz box, too....but again, probably not going to be in the cards.

Back