What is a good Tweed/Bassman type re-issue?

For reasonable dollars? If I knew of one, I might consider selling my vintage Concert. I really like that Tweed Bassman sound. It does not have to be a 4x10.

Last edited:
There are a couple of vintage Bassman heads, one 67, one 68 and some sort of silverface combo (Bassman 100 maybe?) on the local craigslist. All between $500-600.

If I was in the market for a Fender right now, I'd definitely be looking at Allen amps. They're not cheap, but reasonable for a boutique amp. Not sure if they make a Bassman clone though.

Well... which Bassman sound do you like?

The Tweed or the BF/SF (or perhaps you prefer Blondes?), because they are very different.

If you want a Tweed Bassman, the best bang for the buck is the Fender RI, it's a great, solid amp that can be had in the $500-800 range used. Only comes in 4x10. There was a 2x12, but despite being the exact same PCB and chassis and the 4x10 RI, they sell for more $$$ because they were "Custom Shop." Once you get to $1,400, you might be able to get a used "boutique" Tweed Bassman (Victoria, etc.).

If you want BF/SF, then the real deal is the best price, they sell for less than the parts. $500 (maybe less) would get you a SF head, look for "Bassman" or "Bassman 50"; skip the "Bassman 70", "Bassman 100" or Super Bassman" unless you need the extra power.

The Tweed or the BF/SF (or perhaps you prefer Blondes?), because they are very different.

If you want a Tweed Bassman, the best bang for the buck is the Fender RI, it's a great, solid amp that can be had in the $500-800 range used. Only comes in 4x10. There was a 2x12, but despite being the exact same PCB and chassis and the 4x10 RI, they sell for more $$$ because they were "Custom Shop." Once you get to $1,400, you might be able to get a used "boutique" Tweed Bassman (Victoria, etc.).

If you want BF/SF, then the real deal is the best price, they sell for less than the parts. $500 (maybe less) would get you a SF head, look for "Bassman" or "Bassman 50"; skip the "Bassman 70", "Bassman 100" or Super Bassman" unless you need the extra power.
Was thinking Tweed. I have a Concert, which is the brown 4x10, kind of in between sound. I like it quite a bit, but am thinking a Tweed reissue for less than half of what I could sell the concert for would be nice, and open up some money for the new mountain bike I have to save for.

define reasonable price?

I would try to find a fuchs modded bassman. andy does amazing work.

Thinking in the range of a used Fender RI (Reissue I presume?). That $500-800 range. Otherwise, I would probably just hold on to my '61 Concert. Along with my Peavey C-30.

Last edited:
Thinking Fender RI (Reissue I presume?). That $500-800 range. Otherwise, I would probably just hold on to my '61 Concert. Along with my Peavey C-30.

Look for a used one to get into that price range unless some store is blowing it out.

What does BF/SF mean? Blackface/Silverface bassman? If so, definitely tweed. I like the Blondes too, but I think that would be too close to my Concert. Sorry, but my amp vocabulary is just not up to snuff.

This is my current amp.

P1010006.jpg~original

What does BF/SF mean? Blackface/Silverface bassman?

Yes.

Oh and there are two Tweed Bassmn RI. The old one and the LTD. The circuit is the same between them. The LTD has an upgraded solid-pine cabinet and Jensen RI speakers. The older model has Eminence Blue Frame speakers. I prefer the Eminence, but they both have their fans. The LTD usually sells for more used.

In my local Craigslist, there is an older RI for $550, and two LTD's ($850, $875).

Yes.

Oh and there are two Tweed Bassmn RI. The old one and the LTD. The circuit is the same between them. The LTD has an upgraded solid-pine cabinet and Jensen RI speakers. The older model has Eminence Blue Frame speakers. I prefer the Eminence, but they both have their fans. The LTD usually sells for more used.

In my local Craigslist, there is an older RI for $550, and two LTD's ($850, $875).
May I ask generally where your Craigslist area is? Not coming up with much around the PNW. Patience will eventually yield results I imagine. I am thinking I may move on this idea.

The only question is if I could come up with the same sound in something smaller, as I am not sure I really need 45W in a 4x10, though I have that now. I never intended to buy a vintage Fender Concert. It was given to me to pay off a bill I was owed.

Something like the Supersonic 22 might work if it had a decent tweed sound. I would go for the blonde version. I just wish it was 2x12 or 2x10. I have gotten used to more than one speaker for a less boxy, more open sound.

so this statement ended up over on my for sale thread in the context of @Mark Wein suggesting that I consider a 5e3 type clone of some type: The one thing holding me back from any of the smaller options is that I have become accustomed to the more open sound of more than one speaker. [The Concert 4x10 is] Still overkill for home, I know. And this Concert has never gone out with me. Any playing out has been withe my Peavey C-30. That blonde Supersonic 22 I posted in my tweed/bassman thread was interesting for that reason. But I still dig the more open sound. I wish there was a 22W, 2 or 3 speaker version of something with a tweed sound.

Can anyone direct me to some options that are not going to eat up the lion's share of what I get out of the Concert if it sells? I am open to used.

Richter makes the RS-22, a 22-watt 6V6-powered Tweed Bassmanbut it's 1x12 stock.

You can probably find some Tweed Supers clones in the $1200 range, 2x10", wattage varies. The thing is, while there is a lot of overlap, there are a few different Tweed circuits, with varying degrees of gain and refinement. You have to spend some time feeling them out.

I can't speak to the comparison of tweed and silver face Fenders, but this one seems in the wheel-house specs wise:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e=&network=g&gclid=CMDk7PnQ2coCFYeRHwod8DYEdg

750-68Vibrolux_Detail1.jpg

35 watts, 2x10 speakers, two channels...unfortunately I don't see any used ones, just new ones selling for $1,199. Used should be in your price range, but maybe they're new?

Supro's got this:

http://suprousa.com/amplifiers/1690t-coronado/

Similar specs, but even more expensive at $1,349.

Two 10"s and 30 watts sounds like a super sweetspot.

You might check out Allen amps. I'm pretty sure quite a few are Fender based. I think the Dr. Z Z-28 is loosely based on a brownface circuit with and EF-86 front-end. I have a clone, and it's got tight-defined low end, no flubber. I hear great things about the MAZ 18, but no real world experience.

You might check out Allen amps. I'm pretty sure quite a few are Fender based. I think the Dr. Z Z-28 is loosely based on a brownface circuit with and EF-86 front-end. I have a clone, and it's got tight-defined low end, no flubber. I hear great things about the MAZ 18, but no real world experience.

David Allen's amps are primarily based on blackface and brownface circuits. After looking back at his website, it doesn't appear he has anything tweed.

I have the Allen Encore. David and I talked about what I wanted, and he spec'd it a bit heavy so I was able to achieve what I needed out of the amp. Mine is 40 watts, 2x10. He'll build a 22 watt version, though there's no 2x12 configuration. The real key to the amp is the Raw control, which takes the tone stack out of the circuit. All the way off, it's a blackface amp. As you turn the Raw up, you get "shades of tweed" as I like to call it. It's a cool amp, and the perfect amp for me, but I wouldn't recommend anything based on blackface for someone who wants tweed.

The Maz 18 is the amp I've been lusting over for the past few years. It's a combination of Marshall and Vox. Really great amps. Not tweed.

If I wanted a tweed amp, I would get a Victoria 35310.

Back