What Is A Good Livingroom Amp....

I think @bsman and @PunkKitty has/had one.

FWIW, the Kustom web site had the combo version for $139 a few days ago.

Yeah -- I have one, and it's a nice little amp that takes pedals well. I currently have it going into a 112 cabinet fitted with a Fane AXA12. However, you're not going to get any overdrive going until you get to much-too-loud-for-living-room volumes unless you run an overdrive pedal into it.

Yeah -- I have one, and it's a nice little amp that takes pedals well. I currently have it going into a 112 cabinet fitted with a Fane AXA12. However, you're not going to get any overdrive going until you get to much-too-loud-for-living-room volumes unless you run an overdrive pedal into it.

i don't really need a bunch of OD and if i do need more OD than it puts out at a reasonable volume, i have (IMO) one of the best pedals made for that. 1989 Marshall Guv'nor. freakin' Plexi Mark I in a box. there are also some tube swaps i've read about that can make some changes too. but i DO want to hear the tubes....get some "breathy-ness" happening in the tone, and you can't do that with a 40 watt amp, like i have now. watching the youtube vids of it, it sounds like you can begin to get that kind of sound before it gets too loud.

who knows.....i may find something else i think might be better, in a week or so. :grin:

I use mine all the time -- and it gives a wonderful, almost vox-like chimey clean at lower volumes.

yea....that's what i want....and maybe just a tad past "chimey" into the pre-breakup "breathing" sounds that you can get from vox and old marshalls. i think it should be about right for me, AND, it's still loud enough (especially with a pedal in front) to do some rehearsal/jams with.

Too bad you're not closer -- otherwise I could lend you the amp so you could check it out!
i appreciate the offer. i'm thinking at $109, i really can't go TOO wrong. :thu:

btw, i have a crate power block and it sounds GREAT with the LP, but like crap with the strat.
and it sound poopy if you try to use it clean. but then again, it's NOT tubes.

I would recommend either the Blackstar or VHT Ultra 6. Leaning towards the VHT for your situation since it has a watts control.

I would recommend either the Blackstar or VHT Ultra 6. Leaning towards the VHT for your situation since it has a watts control.

IF i am able to get a low watt amp, i've pretty much decided on the Kustom 5 watt. it's in my price range, it's all tube and point to point (so modifiable)
51F5xEg00ML._SL1000_.jpg

so in the end (for now) i've ordered a JHS Little Black Amp Box. basically a variable resistor that goes in the effects loop and allows you do drive the preamp section as hard as you want but then limit the signal going to the power amp section, so as not to get yourself evicted by the neighbors. i got it for $45 at amazon, so i don't think i'm loosing too much if it doesn't work out the way i hope.
i kinda gave up on the micro amp idea because:
1) they're all too loud for an apartment when you get to that "almost break up" volume, even the 1 watters are LOUD.
2) the tone and low end i get with the Blues Deluxe and the EVM-12 in it are NOT gonna be matched with a little low watt amp, at least that's what i've heard listening/watching tons of youtube reviews of a bunch of the micro amps.

so, i figure let's see how this works. and a plus is that i can still use the black box on stage by simply allowing more signal to the power amp and still get a little breakup in the pre section. maybe i'm wrong. we'll see. here's a pic.

chuya-online_75731

so in the end (for now) i've ordered a JHS Little Black Amp Box. basically a variable resistor that goes in the effects loop and allows you do drive the preamp section as hard as you want but then limit the signal going to the power amp section, so as not to get yourself evicted by the neighbors. i got it for $45 at amazon, so i don't think i'm loosing too much if it doesn't work out the way i hope.
1) they're all too loud for an apartment when you get to that "almost break up" volume, even the 1 watters are LOUD.
2) the tone and low end i get with the Blues Deluxe and the EVM-12 in it are NOT gonna be matched with a little low watt amp, at least that's what i've heard listening/watching tons of youtube reviews of a bunch of the micro amps.

so, i figure let's see how this works. and a plus is that i can still use the black box on stage by simply allowing more signal to the power amp and still get a little breakup in the pre section. maybe i'm wrong. we'll see. here's a pic.

chuya-online_75731

Interesting. Please consider doing a full review (including clips?) if you get a chance. That could be a lifesaver not so much at home, but here at the studio.

chuya-online_75731
That looks really cool!

chuya-online_75731

So you put a volume pedal in the effects loop, like I suggested in the first post. Good job. :thu:

well, i tried the black box out last night and i may have wasted $45 and it's really not the box's fault.
it would work pretty well if you are using an amp that DOES break up at 3 or 4-ish. unfortunately, i have a 40 watt 6L6 fender amp which does not break up until 6 or 7 and at that point the whole low end is flattulence.
when i put a OD pedal in front and then put the amp volume on 4-ish and THEN dial the black box so it's not too loud in the apartment, it gets a pretty good sound, but there's still some lacking in the low end, likely because i AM limiting the signal to the power section.

i'm going to keep playing with it thru the weekend. but i'm still not getting what i want. unfortunately (for me) i have been completely spoiled and ruined on guitar amps. i got to play thru a MAZ-38, live, for several months and i just CAN NOT get that sound out of my head. :(

(and i don't have $2500 to drop on an amp)

still messing with the settings on the pedal and the black box, getting some useful sounds at living room volume.
i'll keep it and continue to refine it.

I just got one of these, it kicks ass for $100 bucks. plus you can run backing tracks through it and use it with headphones too.

339911.jpg

Back