what i learned from Warren Haynes last night

i don't think it has much to do with the rack. Warren's got a certain style and he's going to turn the tone knobs a certain way. the rack just makes things easier for him to switch between sounds. if anything is the equalizer in that rig, it's the Soldano.

Well yeah. Whether it's the rack in the middle or the amps at the end, the point I intended was that his signal is so affected that the differences in pickups and body shape are seriously marginalized. I've heard him play through some strats, and i had to make a double take because I couldn't believe he had just changed guitars.

I own more shit than I need, but that's mostly just taste. I could totally get by with just having one electric six string. I've thought about unloading a bunch of stuff and leveling up in such a way. But mostly I own a bunch of different things because I like the variety. No one else could probably tell the difference.

Well yeah. Whether it's the rack in the middle or the amps at the end, the point I intended was that his signal is so affected that the differences in pickups and body shape are seriously marginalized. I've heard him play through some strats, and i had to make a double take because I couldn't believe he had just changed guitars.

i've seen him play through a Super Reverb, and still sound the same. some people just sound like themselves.

I own more shit than I need, but that's mostly just taste. I could totally get by with just having one electric six string. I've thought about unloading a bunch of stuff and leveling up in such a way. But mostly I own a bunch of different things because I like the variety. No one else could probably tell the difference.

I could reduce my electric collection to probably three, but I like having several different guitars at work to choose from. I can walk in and say, "ok is it Strat, Tele, or LP today" or tailor it to each song I'm working on with students.

If I was only going to keep three electrics it would be:

1. Reverend Ron Asheton
2. My MIM Squier
3. My LTD Explorer

Everything else COULD go, but I think I'd probably miss my Xaviere Thinline and the Blue Meanie is my only strat-style.

I can't make any cuts from my acoustic collection though.

show me the discernable differences between them.

• '69 Fender acoustic has mojo. Much mojo. The few people who I let play it are in love with it. It used to be my #1, but right now it's not in the rotation.
  • Godin 5th Avenue is the only archtop I have, plus was a gift from my mum. I love writing on it.
  • Emerald X7 is carbon fiber, killer recorder, my NAMM souvenir and is just really unique.
  • '84 Yamaha was my 1st guitar. Still sounds great.
  • Dean Dao is my gigging guitar, plus a Christmas present from my mum.
  • 80's Fender Concord is the 1st guitar I ever bought myself and I played it in all my high school and college bands until I got the Dean. Fantastic neck, nice midrange.
  • SP&P Cedar/Mahogany is a nice fingerstyle guitar with a chunkier neck.
  • Alvarez MD60. Really versatile and I'm fine teaching on it or going to play with friends. Also has a cedar top, but it's a bit brighter and compresses nicely when strummed hard.
  • 50's Buckeye Parlor. That's my couch guitar, although it has no truss rod and is probably due to be a slide guitar in the next few years unless it gets a neck reset. Has the "backwoods blues."
  • '67 Kay Nylon. Only nylon string in my collection, has a nice wide neck and again, has tons of mojo.
  • SX half-size. Ok, this one can go. It was a failed experiment. Point Howie! :tongue:
  • Martin Backpacker. Loaner acoustic for select students who are going on vacation and can't take a guitar.

all I need is my strat and my les paul...

...and my sheraton2...

all i need is my strat and my les paul and my sheraton2...

...and my P90 guitar...

all I need is my strat and my les paul and my sheraton2 and my P90 guitar...

...and my tele...

all I need is my strat and my les paul and my sheraton2 and my P90 guitar and my tele...

...and my acoustic...

all I need is my strat and my les paul and my sheraton2 and my P90 guitar and my tele and my acoustic...

...and my bass...

all I need is my strat and my les paul and my sheraton2 and my P90 guitar and my tele and my acoustic and my bass...

...and my backup strat...

all I need is my strat and my les paul and my sheraton2 and my P90 guitar and my tele and my acoustic and my bass and my backup strat...

...and that's really all i need...

I could reduce my electric collection to probably three, but I like having several different guitars at work to choose from. I can walk in and say, "ok is it Strat, Tele, or LP today" or tailor it to each song I'm working on with students.

If I was only going to keep three electrics it would be:

1. Reverend Ron Asheton
2. My MIM Squier
3. My LTD Explorer

Everything else COULD go, but I think I'd probably miss my Xaviere Thinline and the Blue Meanie is my only strat-style.

I can't make any cuts from my acoustic collection though.

You know, if I were really motivated to de-clutter I could unload my electrics and just get a nice Jazzmaster and be content. I'd still have my 12 string and my acoustic for variety's sake.

i've seen him play through a Super Reverb, and still sound the same. some people just sound like themselves.

I think that many players just end up aiming for the sound they hear in their head when they start turning knobs....thats kind of my M.O. The gear might add a little coloration but it's not the final arbiter of how things sound coming out the speaker.

Les Paul, Class A Top Hat Ambassador 35

Les Paul, Deluxe Reverb

Suhr Strat, Deluxe Reverb

Suhr Tele - Silvertone 1484

Suhr Strat, Peavey Penta

Different bands, amps, guitars, pedals and I think I still sound like me

Last edited by a moderator:
Back