What have we done?

Punchy

Slacker Supreme
Well, the short of it is we made an offer on a 40-acre horse property down in Ione. This is a good thing, as it will give us a backup plan if things ever go tits up with the state park, but it is nevertheless terrifying.

If we do get it, we will need to do much work with the quickness to acquire and keep new boarders so the property can (ideally) pay for itself. Otherwise it is a large monthly payment that would be a struggle for us to maintain.

Despite the logistical issues with staffing and fencing, I am looking forward to the adventure, and hope we can make it happen. Bullet points for me include a house approx twice as large as our current residence (and a garage), seasonal ponds that could be maintained with cheap irrigation water, and a much darker sky than I currently live under.

Anyway, just felt like sharing. I'm excited, and scared, and hopeful, and stressed, and about every other kind of feeling you can have. :eek:

I've done country living before, just not as an adult. Wife has always been a suburbanite. That being said, she's the one who manages our current boarding facility, so I don't have any worries about that. Our biggest concerns will be replacing the miles of barbed wire with something more horse friendly and figuring out how we'll staff both facilities while we get the new place rolling.

Also where I'm going to set up my telescope :tongue:

Hey, that's cool!
I used to drive through Ione a lot on my way from Sacramento to my home town (Arnold--Calaveras county).

How far is that from where you are located now? Ione is a bit out there...
It's about an hour from here. About an hour from my day job. Right in the middle of the Amador county wine country. We think there would be enough boarding business to make it work, so we just need to make it happen. :)

Back