What have I done?!

_tom_

Baimunized
Potentially something very silly :embarrassed: Sold off my Pearl Les Paul, it was a particularly heavy one and I never wanted to play it any more despite how nicely it played and sounded. Got sick of the edge digging into my forearm all the time as well. This is now my only "proper" electric guitar. I've always had a LP for the majority of the past 16 or so years I've been playing, it feels odd not to have it but liberating as well.

I'm actually thinking about selling this as well and getting a PRS as it's not the greatest SG going and the way it hangs on a strap annoys me a bit sometimes (neck feels too far left). I don't have a whole lot of time to play any more and I'd rather just be playing a quality guitar and not worrying about little things that annoy me as I have with this and the LP. It has been nice simplifying things down though, I also got rid of my tone sucking wah and the DD7 might go.

edit - TLDR for the benefit of smurfco/others who can't decipher my ramblings. Lifelong "LP guy", sold my one remaining LP, may regret, still not 100% happy with SG, want to consolidate down to 1 really good guitar.

IMG_9127.JPG

Last edited:
The vast majority of PRS necks will be oh-so slightly wider at the nut, and a bit rounder, with a 10" radius instead of Gibsons 12" radius.

Probably the closest feel to a Gibson neck would be the PRS DGT. Unless those slight differences don't really matter to you :embarrassed:

Install a true bypass switch in the wah. That'll fix it. The DD-7 has a nice analog sound. And yes, you should get a PRS. Find a used Singlecut, or maybe one of the new S2s.

Play a lot of different PRS guitars as they're all different.

I think the DGT has the best neck, the S2's are good if you like the thinner slab SG style. The Stripped and McCarty's get more in the Les Paul end of the spectrum. Most PRS have a 25" scale, but the McCarty's, Santanas and some of the discontinued models have 24 1/2", 305 and 513 and Brent Mason have 25 1/4". The Brent Mason is one of my favorites in their current line up but it leans more Fender and SuperStrat than Gibson.

added tldr :embarrassed:

How confident are you that the PRS will be what meets your needs?

Play a lot of different PRS guitars as they're all different.

I think the DGT has the best neck, the S2's are good if you like the thinner slab SG style. The Stripped and McCarty's get more in the Les Paul end of the spectrum. Most PRS have a 25" scale, but the McCarty's, Santanas and some of the discontinued models have 24 1/2", 305 and 513 and Brent Mason have 25 1/4". The Brent Mason is one of my favorites in their current line up but it leans more Fender and SuperStrat than Gibson.

Being a teenager of the nu-metal era I've always had a bit of a thing for PRS guitars. I've liked all of those that I've played in the past, the necks are very comfy. I'm past the point of caring about the lawyer/snorkeldick image and just want a quality guitar which is comfy, nice to play and has a LP-ish tone which I think PRS get close enough to.

I'm actually thinking about just getting an SE Standard 22 at the minute, I haven't played one for a while but I really liked the ones I've tried in the past - gonna go play a few to see if I still like em. I think the SE quality is really good and at least on par with my Gibson.

Not sure about the singlecuts yet as the shape looks a little off to me, I've always liked the classic PRS doublecut shape. Gonna try and A/B an SE Standard 22 and SE Standard 245 to see how I feel about it.

Try the S2's as well... they're not a lot more money but they have better hardware and are fully Maryland made guitars, not imports.

I'm not a massive fan of the looks of the S2 series but the S2 singlecut looks pretty good! I don't like the pickguard on most of them.

Edit - I am however thinking that a newer model LP Studio faded with the weight relieved body might do the job for me as well. Apart from the edge digging into my forearm haha.

Last edited:
First quick comment for OP: I'm guessing you were born late 70's/early 80's? If so, you'll likely start to recover some of your playing time within the next 5-10 years. Life slowed down for me a lot after 47, with a noticeable uptick in music time.

Anyhow, what was it that made you an LP guy? HB sound? Stoptail?

PRS guitars always irk me one way or the other, whether it's cosmetics, pricing or just some sort of perceived antiseptic 'vanilla / strawberry /chocolate only' vibe I get from them. (I make exceptions for a few of the ones I can't really afford anyhow, they're super nice).

You've got a lot of options to consider. If you're willing to go used, it really opens up. What about an old Yammie?

:grin: not quite, born in 88. I have my first kid on the way in february so I'm not anticipating having any free time for a while and will have to cut down on band practices as well! Hence why I want the odd bit of time I do get to play to be enjoyable rather than full of niggling annoyances.

The things I like about LP/Gibson style is the scale length (though 25" feels ok to me too), 2 humbuckers, comfy necks, hardtail, big rock tone. Just don't want anything as heavy as my old Pearl which was almost 10lbs. The SG is most of the way there tbh, just hangs odd on a strap and the tuning stability isn't as good as an LP I guess due to a less stable neck join.

Last edited:
Yeah I think that's the best bet. I'm hoping to try out am ESP LTD EC 401 as the VF sunburst model looks lovely and comes in 22 fret. Seems to address some of the issues I have with LP style as well as it has some comfort contours which should also reduce the weight a bit, and a nicer neck heel. Just hoping I like the neck and extra jumbo frets.

Back