What does a simple band demo recording cost these days in your neck of the woods?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Just curious. I have a student looking to record something and I realized that I hadn't paid for studio time in the "retail" market in a long time.

I want to say it was a total of about 12 hours if recording time, spread over two days. I don't really know any of the details about mixing time or anything.

It really depends on where you go. There are a lot of small studios springing up right and left that are using prosumer gear and pirated software and their rates are $15/hr. or flat rates of $100/song. Some studios do demo blocks for $200-300 and most of the "bigger locals" are in the $25-40/hr. range, depending on how large of a block you reserve. I'm in the $25 range, but the competition is rough and new clients are hard to find. I completely stopped advertising my services on CL, because all I received were lowball offers and people that want to "make beats." It's discouraging, but I keep talking to people in local groups and eventually calls come in. :shrug:

It really depends on where you go. There are a lot of small studios springing up right and left that are using prosumer gear and pirated software and their rates are $15/hr. or flat rates of $100/song. Some studios do demo blocks for $200-300 and most of the "bigger locals" are in the $25-40/hr. range, depending on how large of a block you reserve. I'm in the $25 range, but the competition is rough and new clients are hard to find. I completely stopped advertising my services on CL, because all I received were lowball offers and people that want to "make beats." It's discouraging, but I keep talking to people in local groups and eventually calls come in. :shrug:

that sounds more like it was here back when I paid attention to these things several years ago. I don't know what the recession did to the local studios though.

that sounds more like it was here back when I paid attention to these things several years ago. I don't know what the recession did to the local studios though.

If competition is tough out here, I can barely imagine what it would be like in LA.

Yeah, I will say that we got a decent deal, but we also got what we paid for. It was a usable working demo that we could use to make out changes and such. It wasn't mastered, it wasn't mixed particularly well, but it did its job.

As an aside, I'd be happy to point anyone in the Chicago area to the guy.

Yeah, I will say that we got a decent deal, but we also got what we paid for. It was a usable working demo that we could use to make out changes and such. It wasn't mastered, it wasn't mixed particularly well, but it did its job.

As an aside, I'd be happy to point anyone in the Chicago area to the guy.

Seems like you were happy with the results. I'm hoping to get 3-4 tunes finished enough to use as a demo by the end of June but the actual album won't be done probably until fall at the rate we are going. Its all about scheduling at this point though.

25/hr recording 50/hr mastering or if you want to do one song and have your homework done, get in and out in 5-6 hours 200.00 and it will be a week or two before you get the master.

Last edited:
Back