What do you want in a amp?

Some other stuff worth talking about: spring reverbs, tremolos, and effect loops.

I can live without on-board reverb, especially if the amp has an effects loop. Honestly, compared to a good reverb pedal, spring reverb tanks seem too fragile. I know some guys just have to have that sound, though.

I feel kind of the same way about tremolo/vibrato. It's fun if it's on there but it's more parts that can fail and I can get it in more tweakable form with a pedal. Seems most amp companies include it for "vintage correctness" more than anything.

i've played a lot of reverb and tremolo pedals. none sound as good as the reverb and tremolo in my Allen Encore. yes, it's more parts to fail and it's much easier to replace a pedal than service an amp. but i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

Personally-the simpler the better. Too many tonal options frustrate me. I would be obsessing so much I would never get any playing in. One reason why an Orange Rockerverb intrigues me

My requirements are simple since I use modellers. Really, any clean amp with a lot of headroom will do, but I particularly love the sound of a Roland JC.

Back