What do you think of this situation?

I mean seriously. Who saves up for two years and pays over two large for a fucking Carvin? Have some taste for Christ's sake.
True... I'd be getting a Kauer, a D'Avanzo, a McFeely, or (if I had to slum it) a PRS for that much money.

I assume it is our genuine cluelessness about wood finishes. It sure is in my case. In only know oil finish, clear coat, aniline dye, and plain old paint. I'm sure most of that is wrong. I think the guitar world loves to provide opinions, even if they have no clue. I'm guessing it like my attempts to discuss viruses and vaccines with the public, so I'll just go ahead and apologize for my content in the thread.

No no no, everyone here is fine. Just over at SS it's this constant talk about "oh god there's to much white I don't know why they used white".

That's the wood color.

If he wants more blue over the center that was as easy as spraying some blue on before the burst went on but it will darken and subdue the Burl figure. That's really up to the customer if it's ok or not I suppose. I will say this, I have had customers who I have made executive decisions for because I wanted them out of my life. Some of these customers are insane, unrealistic micromanagers and sometimes (more often than not) they can't make up their mind to save their soul.

One last industry POV: I've had infinitely more difficulty with people at this price point (2kish) than at twice at price. 100 fold more.

Is Kiessel/blarvin in the right? Probably not. Is this guy totally the victim? I doubt it.

No no no, everyone here is fine. Just over at SS it's this constant talk about "oh god there's to much white I don't know why they used white".

That's the wood color.

If he wants more blue over the center that was as easy as spraying some blue on before the burst went on but it will darken and subdue the Burl figure. That's really up to the customer if it's ok or not I suppose. I will say this, I have had customers who I have made executive decisions for because I wanted them out of my life. Some of these customers are insane, unrealistic micromanagers and sometimes (more often than not) they can't make up their mind to save their soul.

One last industry POV: I've had infinitely more difficulty with people at this price point (2kish) than at twice at price. 100 fold more.

Is Kiessel/blarvin in the right? Probably not. Is this guy totally the victim? I doubt it.
How hard/time consuming is a re-finish?

That video I posted of the Fallujah guitarist, his blue burl Kiesel is probably exactly what that customer wanted, color-wise. I don't know why they (Kiesel) or some other luthier couldn't do that for the guy if he really liked the guitar and wanted to keep it other than being disappointed in the color.

I'm pretty much with Tiltsa here. It seems very obvious that there is much more to this story than the disgruntled guitar owner is telling.

I don't have strong feelings about Carvin one way or other aside from having a touch of hometown fondness because they are a company that was founded in my little city and grew enough to outgrow it. I spent many days in the original factory/showroom as a young musician ogling the massive 32x8 mixing desks and other stuff that was way out of reach.

Anyway, I've owned Carvin stuff. The live sound gear was great stuff. My Carvin guitar was one of the best playing and most well built I've ever owned. I've also seen plenty of Carvin items that did nothing at all for me.

Their customer service has ALWAYS been awful. Anybody who says otherwise, is either lying, lucky, or just one of those people who asked no questions and simply exchanged money for product.

They have a reputation for outright customer contempt, and they earned it. That's a fact. When I was 19 and had a few bucks in my pocket, I decided to buy a complete live sound package for my band. I walked into their Factory with a stack of C-Notes and a list:

MX2448 24x4x4 mixing desk

Mosfet 900 power amp

Mosfet 400 power amp (x2)

15" passive mains loaded with EV speakers (x2)

12" passive floor monitors loaded with EV speakers (x4)

19" touring rack/flight case

Mixing desk flight case.

It came out to just shy of $10K (in 1988 that was a metric fuck ton of money).

I bought this stuff directly from the building the items were built in. No middle man, no shipping, nada. When I asked what the "best price" was after totalling it all up, the guy says "list price. We don't negotiate."

"Ok, fine. I'll take it. Can you throw in a snake?"

"No, but I'll sell you one for list price"

"How about just a couple of XLR cables?"

"No."

"Uh, ok. Well, here's your money. Can I get some help loading this stuff in the truck?"

"No, but you can park by the loading dock so you don't have to carry it as far."

"Thanks."

"Sure."

Yeah, so that was pleasant. Sadly, from what I have heard over the years, my experience actually WAS pretty pleasant by comparison.

So having said all of that, it sounds like this dude had already somehow managed to get these assholes to capitulate on some level by letting him return a guitar in the first place. He should have bought a lotto ticket that day.

The fact that he's now throwing them under the bus over such a ridiculous situation tells me that he's a more egregious dickhead than anyone at Carvin, and that takes some serious commitment to pull off.

All things considered, and based on what I know to be true, I'd say the response from Keisel has been shockingly measured and polite.

Their customer service has ALWAYS been awful. Anybody who says otherwise, is either lying, lucky, or just one of those people who asked no questions and simply exchanged money for product.

Aside from your own personal example, they have always advertised "100% guaranteed" and the fine print was "we only service it here in the one place so you have to ship it both ways". Yeah...greeeeeat customer service.

How hard/time consuming is a re-finish?

That video I posted of the Fallujah guitarist, his blue burl Kiesel is probably exactly what that customer wanted, color-wise. I don't know why they (Kiesel) or some other luthier couldn't do that for the guy if he really liked the guitar and wanted to keep it other than being disappointed in the color.

Involved but not drastically so for what he wants.

Contrarian opinion: "look kid, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose but if you can't play a gig on that baby blue plank you gotta hang it up. Get out there and PLAY YOUR GUITAR!"

I guess I'm a curmudgeon now. His picture looks very overexposed and probably take by a crap cell phone camera so we are not seeing the true color of that guitar.

Cover it with duct tape and rock it if it visually offends you I guess is my last comment.

Back