What do you think of this situation?

For the record, I wasn't overly crazy about my Keisel purchase either and it seems like they're much quicker about labeling builds "Option 50 - Non returnable Custom Order".

What was the Option 50 on mine? A slightly thicker neck carve. :facepalm:

For the record, I wasn't overly crazy about my Keisel purchase either and it seems like they're much quicker about labeling builds "Option 50 - Non returnable Custom Order".

yeah... when you told me that I was shocked...

That thread has done a great job of killing my Keisel GAS. I've been jouncing for a multi-scale 7 string and they were near the top of my list. After seeing that shit I'd rather take a chance on one from balsa wood and spit. :wink:

Really?

On some models that's a standard option. I think on the CT and DC series, you can order regular, thin or fat neck carves, the thin & fat being a slight upcharge.

thwap0

I do know on at least one model, the headless Holdsworth, a different neck carve will be an option 50. I think those come with a chunky neck, and if you want a slimmer neck it is option 50 idn_smilie

It's not like they couldn't do that color on burl, anyways. Check out this video of Fallujah's guitarist's Kiesel, with a burl top. Pretty much the color that guy wanted and didn't get, imo.

It's not like they couldn't do that color on burl, anyways. Check out this video of Fallujah's guitarist's Kiesel, with a burl top. Pretty much the color that guy wanted and didn't get, imo.

Well that was wretched.

Why is it that most of these shred-metal-ers stare at their fingerboards as intently and with the passion of an accountant staring at an adding machine? :shrug:

Here's a palette cleanser for ya:

Last edited:
I posted in that thread trying to offer the OP some chargeback advice if he wanted to go that route. Last I read, the OP was whining.

I haven't liked any of the Kiesels that I've tried at Namm or elsewhere. The necks remind me of the ones Stuart McDonald used to sell in the early 90's

I hate both of the guitars in that thread.

I'm guessing there is more going on to this thread than we are seeing. The guy apparently already returned one guitar, which we never get to see, and this was the 'fix it' guitar. It is a little different than the picture he sent, but it is a blue burst guitar. I'm in agreement with the previous posts that wood is an imperfect medium and hard to match 100% to a photo. Based on the builder mentioning the buyer had contacted the shop multiple times, it seems this customer might be one of those 'never satisfied' types. Hard to say if that is the case, but it kind of feels that way.

I'm probably not in their target demographic, but this is why I never really liked the Carvin 'custom order by mail' model. I've bought tons of guitars online, but they were all from the mega vendors and readily returnable with no questions asked. I guess I might do a boutique build from someone I trusted, like some of our resident expert builders, but they are not exactly running the same big 'factory' model of Carvin. Also, a guy in my college dorm had one of their super strats in the 80's and it was terrible in sound and feel. Obviously not a valid reason to hate the brand now, as that was 1988.

Last edited:
It's really hard to tell. Needs better pics of the one he received.

Agreed.

And looking at the photo in the photo Keisel posted, honestly I'd say considering one is burl and the other is flame maple they got it very close. A bit more blue tint over the center would have gotten it closer but you'd probably lose the figure in the burl.

Personally, I can see both sides having been there many many times but I bias towards the manufacturer. When we get to a "I'm out" situation, I can promise you that most of the time there's a lot of PITA behind the scenes things that get to this point.

BTW not sure why everyone keeps thinking there are stains applied direct to wood, that finish is clearly all (and as it should be) toner coats applied after sealer but before clear.

BTW not sure why everyone keeps thinking there are stains applied direct to wood, that finish is clearly all (and as it should be) toner coats applied after sealer but before clear.

I assume it is our genuine cluelessness about wood finishes. It sure is in my case. In only know oil finish, clear coat, aniline dye, and plain old paint. I'm sure most of that is wrong. I think the guitar world loves to provide opinions, even if they have no clue. I'm guessing it like my attempts to discuss viruses and vaccines with the public, so I'll just go ahead and apologize for my content in the thread.

Last edited:

I think they stole my mother's camcorder that she used to record my first battle of the bands in 1996.

RCA_VHS_shoulder-mount_Camcorder.jpg

Agreed.

And looking at the photo in the photo Keisel posted, honestly I'd say considering one is burl and the other is flame maple they got it very close. A bit more blue tint over the center would have gotten it closer but you'd probably lose the figure in the burl.

Personally, I can see both sides having been there many many times but I bias towards the manufacturer. When we get to a "I'm out" situation, I can promise you that most of the time there's a lot of PITA behind the scenes things that get to this point.
Yeah, but I also feel like you would've handled the situation very differently and the guitar would've never made it to the completed stage without making sure the customer was fine with it. If Kiesel had communicated the issues with doing the finish they're not like "We told the guy it wasn't going to be exact, but he said OK." It's more like "We liked it, so we shipped it to him, even though it was different."

Back