What do you think of this Samick?

Danhedonia

Noted duckfat enthusiast
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Samick/UM1-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Unsurprisingly, the GC pics are poor. But I played this today w/out plugging it in and .... guhhhhh ... am now GASsing.

Pathetic rationale: It's a terrific little guitar (and I don't mean "little as in 'for the price,' I mean it's on the small side size- and weight-wise) with a very fast bound neck (I love bound necks, and they're good to have in the desert environment). This means my students who are into shred-tastic playing will enjoy it, and um, so will I. It's just .... it's nice. It plays well.

I want it. Talk me out of it?

I have a Samick Corsair bass, my only experience with the brand, and I have been very happy with it...

For 200.00 it seems like a no brainer to me...I'd grab it...

I have the Samick Greg Bennett Tele copy. The FA1 I think it is. I replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan Vintage stack pickups (didn;t have to do so, just wanted to to avoid hum in sketchy wired places.). Dang if it isn't one of my main guitars now. I have used it to record parts on a Platters cover and live a few times. IT is a good guitar, not just for the money.

"What does it do that your other guitars don't do?"

Nothing. Awhile back I realized that I'm a collector, and am usually ok with that (the times I'm not I go hard in the other direction, but it isn't often).

I'm thinking that if I buy it and bring it to school right away, and something happens to it, I won't feel terrible about it. (and we both know I'm lying).

I just like nice guitars and it spoke to me. It's a want, not a need. But after three years of being a Level 1 teacher and my wife being in school, she graduated her nursing program and ... you know. It's what I can afford right now, in terms of drugs.

I'd buy that if I liked it. Samick makes a ton of guitars for other brand names, but their attempt to make it big on their own name wasn't really a success. I think they put some real effort into making some really good guitars to try to break into the market. Their failure to do so resulted in pretty low resale values, and now you can get a nice guitar for a really good price. The only negative is the resale value is going to suck, but you are buying it at a huge discount already, so there isn;t much to lose.

Some Samick's are really nice, I had one that I really liked, for a shred machine that I grew out of as far as style wise.

Whatever happened to Samick? I used to see them in stores all the time. It's been years since I've seen a new one on a wall.

I can't see it,

Access Denied

The http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-514572...Used/Samick/UM1-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc has been deemed by your administrator to be unsafe or unsuitable for you to access. The resource has been blocked. No further action is required.

Reason: The category of Advertisements has been blocked by your System Administrator

I'll have to wait until I'm at home to look at it.

I want it. Talk me out of it?

No. Buy it now before someone else does and you regret it. :grin:

I just like nice guitars and it spoke to me. It's a want, not a need. But after three years of being a Level 1 teacher and my wife being in school, she graduated her nursing program and ... you know. It's what I can afford right now, in terms of drugs.

Seriously though, provided you can afford it, and given it sounds like your family has just got to a better place with your wife graduating etc, there is nothing wrong in celebrating that with a bit of self indulgence in buying yourself a new guitar.

Access Denied

has been deemed by your administrator to be unsafe or unsuitable for you to access. The resource has been blocked. No further action is required.

Reason: The category of Advertisements has been blocked by your System Administrator

I'm just glad the wife hasn't figured out how to do that.

The only Samick I ever played was a buddy's back in the early 90s and it was a piece of junk. Whenever we gigged, he always borrowed my MIM tele or our bass players Strat.

Maybe they are better now, that was 20 years ago.

We had a local chain that carried quite a few Samicks like that or similar.
Most were well made for their price point and played nice.

You're asking a guitar forum to talk you out of buying something? rotflmao

Just buy it already.

Back