What do you feed your dogs?

Taste-of-the-Wild.jpg

That is highly rated and the best that Taste of the Wild offers.

My dogs normally eat Canidae grain-free bison formula: http://www.canidae.com/dog-food/grain-free-pure
If a dog has skin trouble I usually put them on Solid Gold. It’s great dog food but in much of the USA you have to get it shipped out because stores don’t carry it: http://www.solidgoldpet.com

I only use canned food if a dog has a medical problem that requires it. Canned food does horrible stuff to dog teeth.

When I was younger I worked in pet stores for a few years. One thing I learned from customers is to never feed your dog anything you can buy in a grocery store. The extra money you spend will generally make up for itself in the vet bills you avoid. It’s amazing how many people waste thousands of dollars a year on vet visits and medication because they use a dog food that’s mostly fillers dyed four different colors. Feeding your dog Purina is like trying to live on nothing but Fruit Loops and Taco Bell.

Here we go again...:grin:..

Canned food does nothing to dogs or cats' teeth..

Dry food does nothing to dogs or cats teeth. To say that kibble cleans a pets teeth is like saying if we ate crackers we wouldn't need to brush our teeth..

If anything is going to help keep a dogs or cats teeth clean it would be raw bones...

Pets should have their teeth cleaned once in a while just like us........

Last edited:
For the record,that little boy as my avatar,(his name is Mop),cost me about $2000 a year ago to have three stones removed because he couldn't piss,(yup,he was on dry food)...I now have him on a good quality canned food,($4 per can)...Called Wellness,and raw food....Last night for an evening snack my two cats had raw chicken hearts....What a remarkable difference since switching to canned and raw. Fur is nicer,he seems happier....

Costco Lamb and Rice with some pumpkin for filler (so she isn't so hungry which I'm not sure works).

No health issues and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Previous dog lived 16 1/2 years on similar diet..and she was a bigger dog too and outlived all but one of her dog friends (a dachshund that lived to 18). Seemed not to be an issue there either

The food is reasonably well rated according to the research my wife did.

I'm half joking here when I say this but why not also feed some chop suey and a few egg rolls along with the rice..They're all natural foods for a carnivore.....

Our newest dog, Andy, has expanded his fruit pallet this week to now include pears. I only give him a few small nibbles but he'd eat the whole thing if I let him.
He still digs apples and grapes.

12622691803_5c76144be3.jpg

Grapes aren't good for dogs....for reallz...a grape or two might not bother a large dog but I'd be more careful will a toy breed like Andy appears to be

Apples are fine

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/foods-are-hazardous-dogs

Grapes and raisins have recently been associated with the development of kidney failure in dogs. At this time, the exact cause of the kidney failure isn’t clear, nor is it clear why some dogs can eat these fruits without harm, while others develop life-threatening problems after eating even a few grapes or raisins. Some dogs eat these fruits and experience no ill effects—but then eat them later on and become very ill. Until the cause of the toxicosis is better identified, the safest course of action is to avoid feeding grapes or raisins to your dog. Dogs experiencing grape or raisin toxicosis usually develop vomiting, lethargy or diarrhea within 12 hours of ingestion. As signs progress, dogs become increasingly lethargic and dehydrated, refuse to eat and may show a transient increase in urination followed by decreased or absent urination in later stages. Death due to kidney failure may occur within three to four days, or long-term kidney disease may persist in dogs who survive the acute intoxication. Successful treatment requires prompt veterinary treatment to maintain good urine flow.

Grapes aren't good for dogs....for reallz...a grape or two might not bother a large dog but I'd be more careful will a toy breed like Andy appears to be

Apples are fine

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/foods-are-hazardous-dogs

Yeah, he might get 2 half grapes at most so I'm not worried.

Chocolate is supposed to be deadly, but our past greyhound once ate about half a pound of it (including a few wrappers) from a halloween bag and she never showed the slightest problem other than wanting more. :grin:

Grapes are a worry because it seems that it can be no problems for years then big problems. Chocolate seems to be hit and miss too (I heard of a dachshund doing something similar to your greyhound... :eek:

And our old beagle mix when I was a kid once ate about 10 lbs of fish bones....my parents were sure she might die and we were miles from any vet (on vacation) so no chance to take her to one. They told us kids she might not make it through the night and she was very lethargic so naturally everyone thought the worse. But apparently she was just full and after a massive dump was good to go (and lived till she was 18 so no worse for wear :grin:)

Yeah, he might get 2 half grapes at most so I'm not worried.

Chocolate is supposed to be deadly, but our past greyhound once ate about half a pound of it (including a few wrappers) from a halloween bag and she never showed the slightest problem other than wanting more. :grin:

It's not really "deadly", it's just dogs can't digest it. I freaked out when our dog a few years back ate a chocolate Santa, but when I talked to the vet he basically said he's gonna have the shits for a day or so and that's it. Vet said he'd have to eat a metric fuckton of chocolate to actually kill himself.

Reactions: Tig
Costco Lamb and Rice with some pumpkin for filler (so she isn't so hungry which I'm not sure works).

No health issues and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Previous dog lived 16 1/2 years on similar diet..and she was a bigger dog too and outlived all but one of her dog friends (a dachshund that lived to 18). Seemed not to be an issue there either

The food is reasonably well rated according to the research my wife did.
We get the Costco brand, in the red bag. Seems fine. We tried giving it to the ranch dog who's been on cheap food forever and he developed skin issues, so back on cheapie food he went. He eats more than the rest of the dogs combined, so that's fine by us.

I found a local feed store that carries this brand so we bought a small bag of bison & venison to test with. So far, 4 of the 5 dogs enjoy it. I'm mixing it in with their current to prevent gastric distress from the change. I'll know more in a few days if they really like it...

I'm not familiar with that food. Is it dry or is it commercial raw.....

I did notice that a few of the top ingredients in it are sweet potatoes and peas....

I'm guessing either nobody thinks what I say carry's any weight,is not proven,or the links are not watched like most on here....

I'm not familiar with that food. Is it dry or is it commercial raw.....

I did notice that a few of the top ingredients in it are sweet potatoes and peas....

I'm guessing either nobody thinks what I say carry's any weight,is not proven,or the links are not watched like most on here....
I watched the videos, but my dog isn't going to be eating better than I do. Our vet said it (Blue Buffalo life protection formula) was a good food and dogadvisor.com rated it 4 out of 5 stars

Back