Dig it! What Do Guitars from the 1800s Sound Like?

From the Grizzly Man soundtrack. Thompson here is improvising with a guitar from Henry Kaiser’s collection, a 19th-century Howe-Arme.

Pretty sure that all of the first three Tone Poets albums feature recordings used with 19th-century instruments as well.

Very nice instruments. I would enjoy having either of those.
They used to use cat gut strings for tennis raquets too. Some people still use them. The material is really made from cow or sheep intestine. There are a few theories on where the 'cat gut' name came from.
The name is short for cattlegut.
The strings produced a meow sound like a cat.
They wanted to hide the true material used so they could corner the market on good strings.

Yeah, I looked most of this up today.

Cool stuff. :cool:

I like the sound with the gut strings, but they were right about the weak bass. The nylon strings are definitely the overall winner.

Interesting, but it doesn’t make the case for antique guitars. I was unimpressed with the gut strings, that sounded like a cheap beginner guitar. The nylons sounded better, but not better than I could get out of a sub $1,000 Asian guitar. Those silk and steel strings brought out some beautiful overtones, especially on the high end. But even with those I’m sure I could find a new Martin that sounds just as good.

Back