What dirt pedal for Allman Bros lead tone?

What songs? ...things like Blue Sky? They cover a wide span of music and tone over the ages. I always find they are relatively clean, bright, loud Marshalls, a good, but generic amp-in-the-sweet-spot tone.
Duane used a 1987 and Dickie used a 1959 if I recall.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Duane used a 1987 and Dickie used a 1959 if I recall.

Duane used Showmans and Twin Reverbs as much as he used his Marshalls (1987T and 1986). And both Duane and Dickey used open back 4x12's loaded with JBL's, which isn't the speaker of choice for crunch. I think they were going for maximum headroom at high volume more than they were "rawk!" So many amps can sound like ABB, because it's such a huge, moving target.

I know it's heresy, but IMHO there is little "signature" about the ABB tone aside from their very distinctive phrasing/playing style. Yes, there are people who spend thousands trying to nail the Fillmore tone (fabled Marshall 1986 with 6550 tubes and JBL's), but recordings are mostly engineering and mixing; no matter what that amp sounded like live, there was a engineer/producer EQ'ing the hell out of anything to make everyone sit in the mix.

If you play licks from Blue Sky and Sweet Melissa and keep the gain at reasonable levels, it'll sound like ABB.

Back