What dirt pedal for Allman Bros lead tone?

telecaster911

Kick Henry Jackassowski
my OCD seems too raspy/fizzy. The coldcraft cascade sounds too dark but maybe with a trim pot adjustment it might get there.

This would be into a clean/cleanish amp.

:thu:

guitarist-fingers-1384447934.jpg

I'm no authority on the topic but something I've read about ABB is the root of their tone was they'd basically dime the amps and cut the guitar vol way back.

That's how everyone did it in the days before master volume amplification.

it leads to how you get that open 'breathing' amp tone in a pedal with whatever your current amp is.

I had an acquaintance who played in a band w/ a bunch of ABB covers and his rig was just an LP -> PV Classic 30. He'd use a boost on some of the leads but the tone was more gainy than original.

maybe a used Chandler tube driver? I always thought those could be dialed in for a smooth open tone that would get you into ABB territory.

maybe a used Chandler tube driver? I always thought those could be dialed in for a smooth open tone that would get you into ABB territory.

ouch...just looked up on reverb and they ain't cheap. There's a guy making repros @ 299 plus shipping.

The aforementioned DLS has a Plexi topography, which is why I mentioned it. You could try an 18 watt combo, but I think you've already done that.

Sadly, I don't have the 18w anymore. I thinned way down but now have a fill in gig that requires a ton of ABB.

I think I'm going to try cranking the amp more and roll the volume down. Or just play it pretty clean with maybe some comp.

I used a Blues Driver when I was playing ABB tunes. Then when I learned that Warren Haynes had a Metal Zone in his chain, I started using one of those, too, but it wasn't the classic sound.

Holland Li'l Jimi (with EL34)
OCD
Fatboost

Available drives:
Coldcraft mkII cascade OD
Bad Monkey
Soul food but needs a switch replaced

If I didn't need a clean tone for the gig, I'd use the Ada rocket but I need clean chicken pickin' tones also.

Before you buy anything, what do you already have? Start with what humbucking guitar do you want to use.

Back