What Did You Do Before The Internet Came Along?

Man, remember having to buy all the guitar mags just to get a bit of tab? Also reading books, lots of books. Now I just read shit here and on Reddit :cry:

I had a life before the internet, and I have one now. My life now allows me to include wonderful folks from around the world in my social circle, gives me access to information, music, and other entertainment I would have missed. It allows me to better record and share my music. It helped me to further my education and to share my work with others.

Yeah, having the internet sucks. :rolleyes:

campus_playboy1.jpg

+1 on both the guitar and Playboy mentions.

I also spent more time in front of the stereo actually listening to music, instead of having it on in the background.

I blame the internet for none of this though. Habits change over time; the internet just happened to be there.

I know I spent a lot more time playing guitar. I ordered Homespun audio tapes from the back of Guitar Player magazine and tried to play the stuff the guys would write in their columns. I could read music before someone thought up tab.

I was single and after going through my party phase, I started riding and racing road, track and MTB bikes, plus continued surfing. A few years of skydiving and motorcycles, too.
As now, my time away from work is busy, just not as active.

Last edited:
Those saying they played a lot more guitar. Do you think it's because the internet wasn't there to distract or because you were younger? (given the average age of this forum I'm guessing many of us were teenagers before the internet)

Went through childhood, went to college, went through a few jobs, got married, had a couple of kids, moved across country a few times, bought and sold a few houses and the home improvement/maintenance projects that went along with that, had a few hobbies including guitar and riding my motorcycle. So basically everything that's still going on. Can't say the internet has significantly changed how I spend my time other than making many things easier as Gary pointed out.

Never been a big facebook/myspace/social media guy really. This place is all the social media I need.

Those saying they played a lot more guitar. Do you think it's because the internet wasn't there to distract or because you were younger? (given the average age of this forum I'm guessing many of us were teenagers before the internet)

A combination probably.

Back