What crumple zones can do for you..,

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
This was in my inlaws shop when I dropped my kids off today:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437073702.060091.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437073712.978418.jpg

The car was doing 65 mph when another car crossed the median and hit it head in song approximately 60 mph.

The engine is sitting sideways in the engine bay but the officer walked away in pretty good shape all things considered.

Nice. You can see not much energy reached the cabin. Good thing it was a Ford.

Did the cop's pants come out like this?
accordion-pants-gray-asian-model.jpg

Nice. You can see not much energy reached the cabin. Good thing it was a Ford.

I would have expected at least a little bit of a wrinkle in the roof. It's quite impressive that at 60 mph, there was no cabin damage.

Reactions: Tig
Wonder what the other vehicle looked like?

And those front "brush guards" really help (well, the real ones that the cops use do, a "brush guard" not so much....)

Wonder what the other vehicle looked like?

And those front "brush guards" really help (well, the real ones that the cops use do, a "brush guard" not so much....)
Thats actually a pretty manly police push bumper that they've used for years. My father in law was pretty stoked that the lights he installed on it came through unscathed even though the brackets were all bent to shit :embarrassed:
For a 120mph impact that's insane anyone walked away.
seriously. I have no idea what the other car was but I think it was something older and probably smaller.

I always felt safe driving my '57 thinking a bigger, heavier car would be safer in a collision. I was surprised when I saw this footage and saw just how important newer car technology is.

Back