What are you practicing this week?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I'm working on my usual in regard to my jazz playing but I'm also woodshedding my sight reading after an embarrassing fuckup in my CalState audition over something that I shouldn't have problems with.

I just ordered this (which should arrive today)

714D8CNAuML.jpg

I'm still working through this:

41Pxkic5fmL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And I also started this yesterday

61R-LBbLXTL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I need to start transcribing some solos too. First up I think is Art Farmers solo in this recording of "Days of Wine and Roses"

I am focused on learning the fretboard ( again ) and some chord work.

Last edited:
Singing. Since late-October 2015, I've been taking voice lessons so my time has been spent on my voice and not guitar. I'm working on a couple of songs for open mic next week - Oh My Sweet Carolina by Ryan Adams and 24 Frames by Jason Isbell.

Last night I started feeling the need to work on guitar skills, so I want to spend some time this week working on alt-country style guitar licks/solos (think Buddy Miller, Doug Pettibone, etc. . . .)

Refreshing the memory for tunes on regularly scheduled gig.

Also refreshing tunes for the Foghat tribute. Trying to get motivated to work on my Real Book tunes again and put the chart to memory.

Same old things.
Recently I started to bring different angles to my I-vi-ii-V practicing: i used to "OK, let's practice all the arpeggios in this position, then in that position..." and some improvisation with a backing track, now there's also moving through the positions for each arpeggio and doing arpeggios on a single string (each arpeggio through each of the six strings).

My band that I just quit is considering one last show and then officially disbanding. Provided everyone can get on the same schedule page (it took two weeks to get everyone to answer the text) I will need to look at a couple set lists and break off 8 months worth of rust to relearn 40 or so songs. Well - probably half of those will be one-and-dones, but the other half will need some serious remembering.

Now we just need to agree on a date and a set list.

Working on Life on Mars (acoustic version of a piano song so kind of out of my league :facepalm:) I found a decent teaching video on this so I have a starting point. Also plan to (continue) work on Jazz 2-5-1 progressions from Frank Vignola

Getting together with a friend this Friday to jam so working on a few songs we both find interesting. Lola, Still be around, Lake Charles, Mellisa, WYWH, ...

Back